CURRAN Presbyterian church this year celebrates its 175th anniversary.
Located on the Lurganagoose Road, a few miles from Magherafelt, the village ‘worshipping place’ was largely borne out of necessity - such was the growth in the congregation in the area.
However, this was not always the case as it is recorded that in the year of 1830, an itinerant preacher used to visit once a month and addressed a gathering of just 12 people in a private house.
Six years later the Presbytery of Magherafelt reported to the Synod that it was supplying Curran with ordinances and a Seceding congregation was established which duly met in a locally owned barn.
Full story in this week’s Mid-Ulster Mail