Check your Carbon Monoxide alarms

MAGHERAFELT District Council’s Home Safety Officer is advising residents and landlords to check the make of their carbon monoxide alarms. 
Sensor Safe Ltd is concerned about a potential safety issue with their Carbon Monoxide Alarm SF80190. Recent test results have confirmed that these alarms may not detect certain levels of Carbon Monoxide and as a result have been taken off sale. All existing stock has been quarantined while recalling those already sold.

A large number of these monitors remain unaccounted for throughout Northern Ireland. If you are in possession of the above carbon monoxide alarm stop using it immediately and return it to the place of purchase.

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that can be released from any appliance that burns oil, solid fuel, wood or gas, including boilers, if they are not properly installed and maintained. The symptoms of carbon monoxide feel like a lot of other everyday illnesses; headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, light headedness etc. Even exposure to low levels of over a long period can cause lasting damage to your health, including permanent brain damage. More serious cases can cause death.

If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home open doors and windows for ventilation and go outside into the fresh air. Go to your GP or nearest A&E department. If it is urgent, call 999 for an ambulance and call the relevant emergency advice line: Gas Emergency Service (24hours) 0800002001, Oil (OFTEC) 0845 65 85 080. For further information please contact Environmental Health T. 028 79397979.