POLICE in G District, which covers Foyle, Strabane, Magherafelt and Limavady, are reminding licensees of their responsibilities ahead of the St Patrick’s Day celebrations.
PSNI Licensing Officer Constable Paul Larkin explains: “The vast majority of licensees operate safely and responsibly right across the District however there are a few who choose to ignore the licensing laws.
“With the St Patrick’s Day events, a number of sporting fixtures still to come and Test Purchasing now in operation across Northern Ireland, now is a good time to remind staff of their responsibilities.”
• Challenge 21 – Protect your licence and ensure young persons under 18 years of age are not sold alcohol
• Ensure persons who appear to be drunk are not sold alcohol
• Plan ahead for any anticipated or spontaneous increase in customer numbers ensuring you have adequate door and bar staff available
• Check your numbers – do not permit any overcrowding within your premises
• Think about how you can minimise any disturbance to any nearby business or residential neighbourhoods regarding noise and when customers leave your premises
• Please ensure that you avoid any form of irresponsible drinks promotions, especially those that encourage excessive consumption of alcohol and binge drinking
Constable Larkin added: “Make early contact with your local police to discuss any concerns that you might have regarding upcoming events. Early communication with licensees, staff and police may assist in resource planning and resolve any potential problems or difficulties. Please note that police will be conducting licensing checks over the St Patrick’s day period.”