THE Church of the Most Holy Trinity will be dedicated this Sunday March 18, following more than two years of refurbishment work.
The church was consecrated in June 1860 by Archbishop Dixon, with building work having begun five years earlier under then parish priest Fr McConville.
Renowned architect JJ McCarthy took up the challenge of designing a building fit for worship. Since then the church has been embellished and modified in many ways.
The recent refurbishment cost more than £2 million, with much of the money coming from generous members of the congregation who undertook different fundraising efforts including cake sales, dances and sponsored walks.
The parish also received grant aid to help carry out work including fixing up the exterior stone and the wooden floors.
The amount of work carried out is difficult to quantify, according to parish priest Very Reverend Gerry Tremer. “From over 206 feet above ground to underneath the floor of the church old materials have been restored or replaced,” he said.
“A new alter has been installed, stain glass windows repaired and stormglazed, new lighting heating, plumbing and sound system have also been installed.
“More than 100 pieces of wood were hand carved to restore the stations of the cross. The reredos has been restored and its invitation to consider the life of Christ is very powerful.
“The extensive restoration was carried out with an eye to detail and a respectful eye to those who had gone before. It is a work that was carried out in a spirit of harmonious community with the original neo-Gothic design of the architect.”
The church will be formally handed over during a Solemn Dedication at 3pm this Sunday. Cardinal Sean Brady will preside over the ceremony which is open to all. Light refreshments will be served afterwards in Holy Trinity College.