A Coagh joiner was fined £10,000 at a sitting of Newry Crown Court for charge brought against him by the Health and Safety Executive.
Aidan Lavery, 37, from Battery Road, was also oreded to paycosts of £1,500.
The case relates to the installation of a lift into a two storey house in Tandragee in which Mr Lavery was engaged in preparatory joinery work. Mr Lavery was engaged to make an opening between the first and ground floors into which a domestic lift was to be installed.
On Friday 5 October 2012, Mr Lavery created the opening for the lift at the property. The lift mechanism itself was to be installed the following Monday 8 October 2012.
On Sunday 7 October 2012, the householder fell through the opening, some 2.6 metres, suffering severe back and limb injuries. A fixed temporary cover should have been fitted to prevent people falling through the opening.
After the hearing, Anne Cassidy, an inspector with HSENI’s Major Investigation Team said: “We would remind all employers, sub-contractors and sole traders that they have a duty to ensure the safety of members of the public as well as their employees.
“A member of the public has suffered extensive life changing injuries which need not have happened if some very basic precautions had been taken”.