Polish men accused of Dungannon arson refused bail



Have your say

THREE men who travelled along with a group of nine others from Dublin to a house in Dungannon to allegedly ‘settle a feud’ have been refused bail at East Tyrone Magistrates Court.

Tomaz Adamski, 36, of Castlegrange, Dublin, Andrezej Cymerman, 36, of Johns Wood, Dublin and Arkadiusz Kaluzynski, 32 of Adamstown Avenue, Dublin are all accused of aggravated burglary with intent to commit unlawful damage, arson endangering life with intent, aggravate burglary and attempting to inflict grievous bodily harm.

The men appeared via videolink and listened to the case via a translator.

The investigating officer took to the witness box to outline the reasons to the court that police were objecting to bail.

The investigating officer told the court that addresses in Dublin for the accused were only given to police on Tuesday afternoon, before the Wednesday morning hearing meaning police had not checked the addresses.

The officer told the court that the injured party had made a new statement to police stating a few differences in relation to what happened on the night in question.

Although despite the differences in the statement he said police were still opposing bail on the grounds of the seriousness of the case.

The officer told the court that the injured party told police in his new statement that he had thrown an ignited towel down to the hallway in self defence but he still maintains that the individuals who entered the house ignited a waste paper basket in the hallway to start the fire.

A defence solicitor for the accused individuals outlined to the court that the reason for giving addresses in Dublin was that the men had employment in Dublin. He handed up letters to the court from the employers of Mr Adamski and Mr Kaluzynski to support that.

District Judge John Meehan refused bail for the three men stating that both flight risk and interfering with witnesses were very real in the case.

A fourth accused, Tomasz Nowosad, of Tayuleurs Point, Rush in Dublin had his bail hearing adjourned for one week for checks to be carried out on an address.

A court was told that Mr Nowosad was in remission from cancer and still attends hospital for regular check-ups.

Judge Meehan said looking closely at the case he made a distinction between Mr Nowosad and the three others and he was prepared to consider his bail application further.