Pomeroy bungalow fire ‘started accidentally’

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service is urging householders to make home fire safety a top priority.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service is urging householders to make home fire safety a top priority.

0
Have your say

A Pomeroy bungalow fire that drew eight fire appliances from towns in Mid Ulster and Armagh, was started accidentally according to Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service.

The blaze, which the fire service were alerted to just after 3.30pm on December 6, took hold in the roof space of the property.

Eight fire fighters, using breathing equipment entered the property to confirm if there was anyone inside before two emergency jets, a ladder and one water tanker were used to get it under control.

The fire caused one road to close between Gortavoy Bridge (Gortindarragh Road) and Kilmakardle Road - half-way between Donaghmore and Pomeroy - while fire crews got the blaze under control.

Diversions are in operation and the road is currently closed between Gortavoy Bridge (Gortindarragh Road) and Kilmakardle Road, approximately half-way between Donaghmore and Pomeroy.

A spokesperson for NIFRS said: “Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service received a call at 3:33pm to a fire at a bungalow on Pomeroy Road, Pomeroy on Tuesday 6 January.

“Eight Fire Appliances were deployed to a fire in the roof space of the property. Eight Firefighters using breathing apparatus entered the premises using thermal imaging cameras, confirming there was no one inside.

“Fire crews used two Emergency jets, a water tanker as well as one long ladder to tackle the fire. The Police Service of Northern Ireland facilitated traffic disruption in the area due to the fire.

“The roof space was extensively damage and the incident finished at 8:53pm. Early indications would suggest the fire was started accidentally.”