Woman says she will not quit home despite attack by youths

The windows off a home at Leckagh Drive Magherafelt which were smashed over the weekend.mm22-362sr

The windows off a home at Leckagh Drive Magherafelt which were smashed over the weekend.mm22-362sr

0
Have your say

A WOMAN whose Magherafelt home was attacked by four masked youths, says she will not be forced out.

The 54-year-old had just returned home and was watching television when the attack happened around 10.50pm on Wednesday of last week.

“They tried to break the front window but could not get through because of the double glazing,” she said.

The mother-of-two, who asked not to be identified, lives at the address with her son and his girlfriend.

It was the fifth occasion her home has been singled out for attack in the past few years. No motive has been established.

She said she did not get a good look at the culprits who wore scarfs to conceal their faces.

“I’ve been living here for 16 years and I’m not for leaving,” she said. However her son and his girlfriend are moving out, she said.

The woman stressed the attack had left her shaken but resolved to remain despite Wednesday night’s incident.

“No one should have to live in fear in this day and age,” she continued. “I’m not moving for anyone.”

She is hoping to improve security at her home including the installation of CCTV cameras and padlocked doors.

A hammer found at the scene of the incident was taken away by police for forensic examination.