THROUGH THE ARCHIVES: Harbour board is updated on progress of new fish curing stations

From the News Letter, April 9, 1910

Friday, 9th April 2021, 6:00 am
Fishermen on the pier at Downings, Co Donegal. Circa 1910 (but definitely between circa 1906 and 1914). NLI Ref.: CDB51. Picture: National Library of Ireland

The progress which had had been made on the construction work on the new herring fishing quay and curing sheds at Londonderry were the subject of a meeting of the Londonderry Port and Harbour Board this week in 1910, reported the News Letter.

The meeting of the board was presided over by Sir John Johnston and they heard the engineer of the project Mr A Stewart that work had been “proceeding rapidly”.

Mr Stewart told the board that the project, which was expected to cost at least £2,000, had seen the old wharf was undergo reconstruction and piles for the extension had been driven in to the seabed.

Meanwhile, the sheds had been pushed forward and a roadway built and that “every endeavour was being made” to have this initial work completed in time for the May fishing.

One board member, Mr W Donnell, moved that the yard below the City of Derry Boating Clubhouse should be cleared out and made available for the curing stations connected with the herring fishing industry.

Mr Donnell argued that all that the board made from this area of land was a mere £35 for yearly storage, he added that the board should look sensibly at putting it to better use and in his opinion the curing stations should be located at this site.