A Pomeroy woman and her baby daughter had a miraculous escape when a gas explosion ripped through their first floor flat in the village’s Main Street, it was reported in 1990.
Nuala Kelly (23), who was in the building at the time, somehow managed to escape from a vicious fire which was started by the explosion.
She was taken to South Tyrone Hospital suffering from burns and shock by Cookstown ambulance crew which was on the scene minutes after the explosion.
A fireman was also taken to hospital suffering from cuts to his leg, but he was later discharged.
The extent of the damage was severe, with window frames blown over rooftops of houses on the opposite side of the street and furniture and other items scattered over a wide area by the force of the blast.