100 Tyrone cyclists finish murdered man’s last journey to prompt investigation breakthrough

editorial image

A team of cyclists from a Dungannon GAA club have trekked over a hundred miles to the site of a murder in the hope of sparking a breakthrough in a 25-year-old police investigation.

Local bookmaker Des Fox was attacked at Healy’s Bridge in Kildare on 30 September 1990 as he was on his way to the Curragh Races.

The 47-year-old father of three was robbed of €20,000, shot in the leg and bled to death. Those responsible have never been caught.

To mark the anniversary of his murder, his family have launched a fresh appeal for help in the investigation. To help generate publicity for the campaign, one hundred cyclists from St Malachy’s GAC, Edendork undertook the journey Des never managed to finish, from the site of the killing back to Tyrone.

The club say they hope someone will come forward with vital information.

Before they began their cycle, a short memorial service was held at the spot where Mr Fox died.

“Dessie’s family have never had any closure after the tragedy, and it left a big scar in our whole community,” said Stephen McKenna, Edendork GAC.

“We named our clubrooms in Dessie’s honour, and it is here where we finished our cycle on Sunday afternoon.”

“He really brought Edendork together”, said another spokesperson. “If it was for Edendork, it got Eddie’s support. Whether it was football, pipebands, or talent competitions. It didn’t matter what it was, Dessie was at the front.

“He was also a very generous man, a very humble man.”

Former SDLP politician Austin Currie said that Mr Fox’s death was a terrible tragedy for him and his family, but that it was also a terrible tragedy that the perpetrators have never been apprehended.

In a statement, Irish police said Mr Fox’s death was the subject of a live and ongoing investigation. Gardaí in Naas have appealed to the public for information.

Seventeen people were arrested at the time but no-one was ever charged. Gardai believe up to seven people were involved.

Mr Fox’s white Mercedes was forced to stop by two other vehicles. At least two of the gang were armed, with both a revolver and shotgun used in the attack. The raiders left Mr Fox on the side of the road, where he died from a severed artery.