Bellaghy man who lost grandson in blind cord accident to run workshop

Martin Regan (second from left).
Martin Regan (second from left).
Share this article

A BELLAGHY man who lost his grandson in a tragic house accident is set to host a workshop on blind cord safety.

Martin Regan was left devastated after losing grandson Dean in January 2011 and hopes the County Derry workshop, set to be held in Lavey, will educate on the deadly dangers of blind cords.

Little Dean, who was just 23 months old, died in hospital after becoming entangled on a blind cord five days prior.

Martin now works tirelessly to educate families about the often overlooked danger of blind cords.

The workshop will be held on Monday, January 7th at Lavey Early years Playgroup, Mayogall Road from 7pm to 9pm.

It will be run in conjunction with Magherafelt District Council‘s Home Safety Officer and kindly funded by the local home accident prevention group and facilitated by RoSPA.

It aims to prevent unintentional injury or death by increasing the public’s awareness on the potential dangers of blind cords.

These potentially lethal traps for children (especially those under the age of three), exist in many ordinary homes in Northern Ireland. Since 2012, 12 children have tragically died in the UK as a result of blind cords.

Sadly the most recent death happened no less than one month ago in London.

Speaking ahead of the workshop Martin said: “I would urge parents, grandparents, childminders and anyone who has children visiting their homes to come along and get invaluable information.

“Even if we can help one family to make the necessary changes in their home to prevent a death from blind cords then we will have made a difference”.

This workshop is being held in support of the regional campaign lead by Home Accident Prevention Northern Ireland (HAPNI) and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA).

Anyone interested in finding out more on this subject is welcome to attend. Available places will be on a first come first served basis. To reserve a FREE place please contact Environmental Health Dept at Magherafelt District Council on 79397979 or email or Mairead or Dette, Lavey early Years Group, 79645464.