Dungannon man caught drink driving told officers to “f**k off”


A man who told officers to “f**k off” after being arrested for drink driving has pleaded guilty to the offences at East Tyrone Magistrates Court.

Svajunas Dyglis, 32, of Brookfield Road, Dungannon was charged with resisting police, using a motor vehicle without insurance, no driving licence, no vehicle test certificate, possession of a false identity document and driving withe excess alcohol in blood.

A court heard of how police were on mobile patrol in the Dungannon area when they received a report of a suspected drunk driver.

Police were supplied with the registration number of the suspect vehicle. While on the Gortmerron link Road, police observed the vehicle matching the description and police followed the vehicle which was heading towards the Killyman Road.

Police observed as the vehicle swerved over the white line on at least three occasions. Officers stopped the vehicle and spoke to the driver, whose eyes ere bloodshot and his speech was slurred.

The defendant subsequently failed a roadside breath test.

A court was also told of how officers had to hold Mr Dyglis up at the rear of the vehicle as he couldn’t steady himself.

When police tried to restrain Mr Dyglis and take him to the station, he shouted: “F**k you, f**k you, f**k you.” Officers had to physically restrain Mr Dyglis on the ground and when in the rear of the police vehicle he lunged at an officer. He continued to be verbally abusive and aggressive toward officers.

Checks on the licence which Mr Dyglis gave officers revealed it was fraudulent.

Due to an injury to his chin, the defendant had to be transferred to Craigavon Hospital where a blood test revealed he had 233mg/100ml of blood.

Mr Dyglis admitted all the charges except the fraudulent licence which he claimed he had never seen before despite the fact that officers found it on his person.

Further examination of the licence concluded that it was in fact fraudulent.

District Judge John Meehan ordered a pre-sentence report to be prepared by probation services before sentencing could take place. The case was adjourned to April 9.