News has emerged this morning that the 200-year-old Cypress tree that was damaged in an arson attack in early summer, has died and will have to be cut down.
A spokesperson for the Forest Service told the Mail that the popular and well-loved tree “did not survive” the “deliberate” blaze.
The June 20 attack sparked outrage across Mid Ulster as many recalled climbing the beloved tree during childhood.
The duck viewing shelter, which appeared to be the main target, was also burned to the ground.
A spokesperson for the Forest Service said: “The Cypress tree that was damaged by fire earlier this summer did not survive and will now have to be cut down.
“This will be programmed in the coming months.”
It was reported at the time that a number of youths were seen fleeing the scene before driving away in a blue car.
If you can help police with their enquiries, call the non-emergency 101 number.