Dungannon’s Ryan Farquhar to return to motorbike racing

Ryan Farquhar in action
Ryan Farquhar in action

Ryan Farquhar will make a sensational return to the Isle of Man TT in 2014 with old rival Keith Amor joining the Ulster star’s KMR Kawasaki team for the Lightweight race.

Farquhar quit the sport in 2012 after his uncle, Trevor Ferguson, was killed following a crash while riding the Dungannon man’s own Supertwin machine at the Manx Grand Prix.

However, the 37-year-old will come out of retirement next year alongside former Honda TT Legends rider Amor, who also returns to the roads after calling time on his own career in 2011 due to a shoulder injury.

The pair were involved in many memorable battles between the hedges at the Irish national meetings in the past but will now join forces under the same banner to ride identical Kawasaki ER6 machines on the Mountain Course in June.

“At this minute in time the plan is to do the TT and we’ve only put the deal together in the past two weeks,” Farquhar told the News Letter.

“No doubt other clubs will want to talk to us and try and negotiate a deal but that hasn’t happened yet and at this stage all I can say is we’re doing the TT.

“I’m supplying Keith with a bike for the Lightweight TT and I’ve got Manx Gas on board as a sponsor, plus Brian McGrath at SGS International is also on board as the title sponsor of the team and the bikes will run in those colours.

“I just want to go and enjoy myself. The fact is that I can go and do a three-lap race and get a couple of months’ wages out of it,” added Farquhar, who will also provide Manxman Joe Farragher with a Supertwin machine at the TT.

“I’ve gone out in the past and rode as many bikes as I could and tried to win as many races as I could, but it’s not about that any more. I won’t be tiddling around, but I won’t be putting my neck on the line to smash lap records.”

Farquhar, who vowed never to race again in the wake of his uncle’s tragic death, explained his decision to pull on his leathers once more.

“The reason I retired after Trevor died was to spend more time with my family. But I took on a lot of work this year building bikes and I’ve spent less time than ever with the girls,” he said.

“I was working seven days a week and I was under more stress than ever, plus I wasn’t making a profit - working at bikes isn’t enough to pay the mortgage.”