Magherafelt holiday makers urged to check the law on TV licensing

TV licensing
TV licensing

With hundreds of people about to flock to their favourite holiday hotspots across Magherafelt over the May Bank holidays, TV Licensing is reminding people to check they are correctly licensed, as some caravan owners will need a second TV Licence.

Holidaymakers who plan to watch or record live TV in their static caravan or mobile home will need a second TV Licence if TV receiving equipment is in use at both addresses at the same time.

If a TV set or other equipment is never in use at both locations at the same time, one licence will cover both addresses.

Touring caravans and motorhomes are covered by the TV Licence at the holder’s home address and so do not require an additional licence. There are over a million caravans in use in the UK, with caravan parks in the Magherafelt, enjoyed by holidaymakers who appreciate the freedom and flexibility of a caravan-based break.

Karen Grimason, spokesperson for TV Licensing for Northern Ireland, said it was important people understood the differences in licensing requirements between static and touring caravans. “Being caught watching TV without a licence could put a real dampener on your holidays – we want people to ensure that they stay on the right side of the law,” he said.

“The law is very clear. Anyone who watches or records live programmes on any device, on any channel, or live online, must be covered by a TV Licence.

“You don’t need a separate TV Licence for static caravans, mobile homes or moveable chalets, provided you provided you don’t watch TV in both homes at the same time. It’s quick and easy to check the requirements online, simply go to”

Martin Spencer, technical manager, The Caravan Club added: “It’s wise to check that you are correctly covered by a TV Licence if you plan to watch TV while you are away. The good news is that you may already be covered by your home licence if holidaying in a touring caravan or motorhome so it’s worth taking the time to brush up on the licensing requirements.”