Dangerous defects uncovered at two Mid Ulster recycling centres

Compactors were taken out of use at two County Tyrone recycling centres after an inspection uncovered dangerous defects.

Friday, 23rd April 2021, 3:41 pm

The faults have since been repaired.

Members of Council’s environment committee were informed of repair work that has been carried out at Council’s Coalisland and Drumcoo Recycling Centres during the committee’s meeting in April.

Four waste compactors across the two sites are fitted with lifting devices to assist users to empty bins.

Mid Ulster Council offices

However, in December, Council was informed by its insurance company, Allianz Engineering, of a ‘grade A’ safety alert in some of the machinery at both of these sites following a statutory inspection.

A ‘grade A’ safety alert means there is a defect which could cause danger to persons and as a result, the bin lifts were taken out of operation and removed from the site for modification and repair.

A technical solution to the problem was developed by contractor CK International. However, it took more than two months to implement the solution due to delay in obtaining the necessary parts from the original manufacturer, Simpro, which is based in New Zealand.

A replacement compactor has also been ordered to replace a previously condemned unit at Coalisland Recycling Centre.

The cost of repairing the four bin lifters was £6,802 while the cost of replacing the compactor is £11,800.

Members were also advised that had Council not repaired and replaced the necessary equipment as identified in the insurers statutory inspection, Council could have been sued by the Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland (HSENI).

Commenting on the report, Councillor Joe O’Neill said it was great to see the money being spent in Coalisland.

“I use the Coalisland site right and often and the work of the staff is fantastic. The staff needed this, the amount of work they are doing, they could not be thanked enough for their efforts.

“And I know this view is shared across the local community,” he said.