Augher on the up


Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 10:10 am

Loughmacrory 2-4 Galbally 1-13

This was a must win game for both sides in this relegation sudden death play off encounter at Loughmacrory on Saturday afternoon, and it was Galbally who came out on top with a fine display to send the hosts tumbling to Division Three football for next season.

Loughmacrory had the wind at their backs but it was the Pearses who made the perfect start with Mickey Murphy finishing in style to the net with only four minutes gone on the clock. It was a score that shocked the home side but it stung them into action and after Ronan Ward and Stephen Donaghy had notched points the latter took advantage of a mistake in the Pearses defence to find the net.

Niall Grimes then tagged on a point but back came Galbally to draw level with scores from Ciaran McCrory and Blaine Nugent [2]. Ward then got in for his second major just before halftime and that enabled the home side to lead 2-4 to 1-5.

The visitors totally dominated the second half as they held their opponents scoreless. Murphy and McCrory had them on level terms within five minutes of the restart and they never looked back. The twin threat of Murphy and Nugent got 1-9 between them with Eamon McElroy weighing in with a brace as well as Galbally set up a meeting with the winner of the Brocagh v Fintona promotion play off game.

Loughmacrory scorers – Ronan Ward 2-2, Niall Grimes 0-1, Stephen Donaghy 0-1

Galbally scorers – Mickey Murphy 1-4, Blaine Nugent 0-5, Ciaran McCrory 0-2, Eamon McElroy 0-2

Pomeroy 2-5 Augher 1-11

A blistering third quarter when they outscored their opponents 1-3 to 0-2 ultimately proved to be the difference between the two sides as Augher defeated Pomeroy at Plunkett Park in this promotion play off clash.

Augher had the wind at their backs in the first half and they made a positive start with points from Fran McMeel and Jamie Donnelly but they were then rocked back on their feet when Stephen McKenna opened the Plunketts’ account with a goal. Mark McKenna and Kevin Hackett traded points in a low scoring first half that ended 0-4 to 1-1. Significantly though the home side were down to fourteen men after half back Kevin Armstrong was sent off by Eamon McHugh for a second yellow card offence.

A trio of Donnelly points coupled with one from McMeel gave Augher the perfect start to the second half and while Ollie McCreesh responded for the hosts a goal from Hackett appeared to put Augher in the driving seat. Pomeroy though hit back with a couple of points from Kieran McGeary and a goal from Ciaran Cunningham but they were never able to get on level terms and Augher closed out the game with scores from Declan Connolly and Aidan Cassidy in the final five minutes.

Pomeroy scorers – Stephen McKenna 1-0, Ciaran Cunningham 1-0, Mark McKenna 0-2, Kieran McGeary 0-2, Ollie McCreesh 0-1

Augher scorers – Jamie Donnelly 0-6, Kevin Hackett 1-1, Fran McMeel 0-2, Declan Connolly 0-1, Aidan Cassidy 0-1

Strabane 3-17 Derrytresk 0-2

This tussle at Sigerson Park proved to be a very disappointing encounter as it was one way traffic throughout but no doubt Strabane will not be unduly worried about that as they easily accounted for an out of sorts Derrytresk side.

The Sigersons were against the wind in the first half but you would never have guessed it as they made a lightning start to the game with the opening four points with Michael Etherson and Aaron McLaughlin among their scorers. Niall Gavin opened Derrytresk’s account from a free but that 16th minute point proved to be their only one of the first half. Two minutes later Warner Mullan grabbed Strabane’s first goal and when John Paul Gallagher followed that up with three converted frees there was an air of inevitability about the outcome with the scoreboard reading 1-7 to 0-1 at the break.

Etherson and Ryan O’Kane added to the winners’ advantage on the restart before Gavin got Derrytresk’s last score of the season. John McLaughlin weighed in with three points in a row and after teenager Luke McGeehan got a 20th minute goal David Taylor found the net as well four minutes later as the home side strolled through to a play off meeting with Augher.

Strabane scorers – Warner Mullan 1-2, David Taylor 1-2, John Paul Gallagher 0-3, John McLaughlin 0-3, Luke McGeehan 1-0, Danny McBride 0-2, Michael Etherson 0-2, Aaron McLaughlin 0-1, Ruairi McElroy 0-1, Ryan O’Kane 0-1

Derrytresk scorer – Niall Gavin 0-2


Fintona 0-11 Beragh 0-7

Fintona took a step closer to promotion to Intermediate football for next season when they repeated their championship victory over a gallant Beragh side at Father Laurence Park on Saturday afternoon.

Conor McGoldrick put the Pearses in front within sixty seconds of the start of the game before Eddie Molloy sent over the equaliser in the third minute. There was never anything between the two sides in the opening half hour with scores at a premium with both defences very much on top. Niall Donnelly and Niall Mellon helped edge the home side in front but back came the Red Knights through Niall Owens, Paul Owens and Martin Rodgers to get their noses in front. Fintona had the final say of the first half through Aaron McCarney to leave it 0-4 apiece at the short whistle.

The home side were out of the traps quickly for the second half with the McCarneys Aaron and Benny as well as McGoldrick all on target. Beragh though responded through Rodgers and Christopher Devlin and it was clear that this game was going to the wire. The home side though produced their best spell of the game when it mattered most with McCarney, Mark Donnelly [2] and Tommy McGrath all supplying points to see them over the finishing line.

Fintona scorers – Aaron McCarney 0-3, Mark Donnelly 0-2, Conor McGoldrick 0-2, Niall Donnelly 0-1, Niall Mellon 0-1, Benny McCarney 0-1, Tommy McGrath 0-1

Beragh scorers – Martin Rodgers 0-2, Christopher Devlin 0-2, Eddie Molloy 0-1, Niall Owens 0-1, Paul Owens 0-1

Brocagh 1-10 Errigal Ciaran III 1-7

Brocagh moved into phase two of the division three promotion play offs for the second year in a row when they had three points to spare over Errigal Ciaran Thirds at the Loughshore in a game that saw four players sent off by Pomeroy referee John Devlin.

Star of the show for the Emmetts was centre half forward Ciaran Donnelly who finished with an impressive eight points to his name, five of which came in the first half. Eugene Ryan also found the range for the home side in that opening half hour with two Michael Harte frees sandwiched in between that to leave it 0-6 to 0-2 at the turnaround.

The visitors made a great start to the second half and they quickly got on level terms with points from Harte [2], Ronan Tierney and Eoin Gormley. A scuffle then broke out with the referee issuing straight red cards to Brocagh’s Barry Donnelly and Errigal’s Eoin Quinn. When play resumed it was the home side who took control with Donnelly getting another brace before Colm McFaul scored a goal. In the next attack though the visitors hit back with Harte converting a penalty after Cahir Tierney was fouled. In the closing stages Donnelly and McFaul added points for the Emmetts as Errigal Ciaran Thirds finished with a dozen men after Peter Loughran and Paudge Mulgrew were both dismissed for double yellow cards.

Brocagh scorers – Ciaran Donnelly 0-8, Colm McFaul 1-1, Eugene Ryan 0-1

Errigal Ciaran scorers – Michael Harte 1-5, Ronan Tierney 0-1, Eoin Gormley 0-1