Difficult week for Town Junior teams

Lisnagarvey II 6 Cookstown II 1

It was always going to be a tough game for the Twos on the road to the rampaging JL1 and Irish Junior Cup champions-elect, but Cookstown were far from five goals worse than the Hillsborough men on this occasion.

The Reds remain the only team in Ireland to have beaten Garvey this season and squared up to the home side in the opening twenty minutes, defending robustly and attacking at pace through the heart of the opposition back four.

Nonetheless, the Reds found themselves 2-0 down at half time following two soft goals in a matter minutes.

It got worse just into the second period when they found themselves down by three but got one back through a Mark Wilson short corner.

On a hot day, Cookstown ran out of steam and conceded three more goals but on the upside they welcomed back veteran defender Ian Cheevers after several months on the sidelines.

Cookstown: Steven Stewart, Gavin Butler, Mark Wilson, Andy McWhirter, Dan Crooks, Michael Johnston, Jon Ames, Philip Morton, Stevie Allen, Matty Montgomery, Raymond Miller and Ian Cheevers

Millar, Shearer and Black Man of the Match: Matty Montgomery

Congratulations from all on the Twos to Philip Rhino Morton who got engaged at the weekend

Cookstown V 2 Cliftonville II 3

The Reds were not on form with half the team carrying injuries or struck with man flu. They knew 70 minutes was going to push them.

It was Cliftonvillle who scored first finishing of a great passing move but the reds struck back before the end of the half to leave the score 1-1 at the break. Cliftonville again started the quicker and scored two goals in quick succession to blow the wind out of the reds sails. The 5s fought hard and scored to make the score 3-2 but an equaliser was just out of their reach.

Cookstown: A. Gillis, B. Thom, S. Otterson, B. Steenson, C. Faulkner, G. Leonard, R. Johnston, M. McWhirter, C. Scott, G. Thom, R. Nelson.

Millar, Shearer and Black Man of the Match: Simon Otterson

PSNI II 3 Cookstown VI 0

For the second week running a late drop out caused the Sixes to travel with ten men to a physical PSNI side.

The Reds knew with a man down that this would not be an easy game and their thoughts were confirmed as the PSNI sent a warning shot past the post in the opening seconds.

The Sixes were barricaded in their own half for most the game withstanding attack after attack from cops and did well to restrict the police to two goals in the first half. The second half was to be a repeat of the first half only this time when the cops were reduced to ten men for a stage after a yellow card was issued the Reds were able to get a shot on target with Chrisy Burns forcing the keeper into a save.

The police managed to score a late goal to make the final score 3-0 but only for keeper Josh Cooper being in fine form the score line would have been a lot higher with the young keeper making save after save.

Cookstown: J. Cooper, B. Simpson, R. Thom, C. Sanderson, S. Crooks, J. Anderson, R. Agnew, M. Carson, C. Burns, J. McWhirter.

Millar, Shearer and Black Man of the Match: Josh Cooper.