Back to back wins for Reds

Share this article

MAGHERAFELT Reds game against Kilrea started off very poorly for the home side as Kilrea took an early lead with only a few minutes after kick off. Almost the entire first half was end to end action in both penalty areas with the Red men showing the form they can produce.

This dominance of pressure paid off just minutes before the half time interval with Paul Taylor produced a cool finish to level it up at the break. The second half saw the home team come out as they finished the first by adding a second from Paul Taylor to give Reds a 2-1 lead after some great link up play with captain Ciaran McDonald.

New signing Niall Martin was in fine form between the sticks and thwarted Kilrea on many occasions who were unlucky in seeing the ball come off the post a few times. The Reds put the game to bed with only minutes on the clock via Jason Martin. A much better performance from the last result to which the manager was happy with.

Roe Valley 2 Magherafelt Reds 3

THE Reds travelled up to Limavady on Saturday past to play one of the four new teams in the league this year. Entering into the unknown the lads took to the pitch coming off a great result from the mid-week win over Kilrea.

Roe Valley started the quickest of the two sides by going 2-0 up within the first 7mins with two long balls over the top of the Reds defence for their very fast striker to latch onto and side foot past the oncoming Martin in goals. The away side started to pull the strings throughout the park in every position and pulled a goal back with a magical piece of play in the midfield to set up Ryan Taylor to fire the ball into the net from around 30 yards out. Half time 2-1.

Manager Brian Martin had a few harsh words to say to the squad of players at the interval which in turn saw the 11 men take to the pitch and did what was asked of them. This talking too paid off and the Magherafelt team was on top for most of the 2nd half and their fight and determination paid off when the little ‘RT’ out jumped his marker and headed the ball into the far post to draw the scores level at 2-2.

A few subs was made by both teams and saw the Reds bring on a bit more experience to push for the winner. Some neat play in the top half of the pitch saw Jason Martin rocket the ball past two defenders and the keeper to put the Reds 3-2 up with about 5 mins remaining on the clock. With back to back wins the lads are looking to continue pushing for more points. This Saturday the team are away to West Bann FC with a 2pm kick-off.