Clinical Coagh come away with three points

Wakehurst 1 - Coagh United 4

AN EMBARRASSING own goal from barrister Douglas Stevenson ended any hope of a second half revival from Wakehurst. Even after Coagh’s David Calderwood had also dumped into his own net the Ballymena side could do nothing to stop another flowing move from the visitors which ended with Mark Scott scoring Coagh’s fourth.

The match started with Coagh being penned back in their own half as Wakehurst pushed for the early goal. Coagh may have been under pressure but their goal minder Johnny Yorke had little to do as his back line worked over time to clear their lines.

Wakehurst came close from a Mark Crawford free before the visitors opened their account. On the break an Aaron Campbell cross was blocked and deflected off the upright but Jason Gillespie pounced and the post came back into play as the ball deflected off it and into the net for the opener.

Shell shocked Wakehurst came storming back and missed an excellent opportunity to level. Lee McCaughern broke clear of the Coagh back line but with only Yorke to beat the player shot well over the bar.

On seventeen minutes it was 2-0 for Coagh, another flowing move which started from Johnny Yorke’s goal kick saw seven passes open the home side up but Lamont’s goal bound shot was deflected for the corner. Steven Lamont took the kick for Jason Gillespie to coolly side foot his second of the match.

As the half petered out Wakehurst came very close from three set pieces. Lee McCaughern took all three free kicks. His first was headed just wide by Jason Paul; the second skimmed the post from Steven Gage’s header while a confident Johnny Yorke made the save in a crowded penalty box to preserve Coagh’s lead at the break.

It was all Wakehurst at the start of the second half but again Coagh held firm. Barry Anderson in for the unavailable Steven Hawe cleared well under pressure but moments later Anderson’s back pass put his keeper under pressure but Yorke reacted quickly to make the block and another good chance was missed by the home side.

Wakehurst were first to have movement off the bench, off came Mark Crawford to be replaced by Steven Mallon and as the home side made the tactical changes, Coagh again took the advantage. After another flowing move, Aaron Campbell finished the move with a teasing pass to Lamont with the Coagh’s forward shot being turned into his own net by the embarrassed Douglas Stevenson.

Game over Coagh brought on Lee Hunter and Johnny Black and Black should have made it four straight away. Ferguson and Hunter made the opening but Black screwed his shot wide of the post. All credit to the home side, they never gave up and in a bold move they got the consolation even though it was courtesy of Coagh’s David Calderwood. The home side brought on two more strikers to leave four upfront.

Pressure on the Coagh back line saw them crack for the first time during the match. A terrible clearance landed at McCaughern’s feet, his shot was saved by Yorke but as the rebound bobbled it hit off Calderwood and into the net.

From the restart Coagh’s Steven Lamont and Scott McGeown linked well with McGeown’s cross being finally turned in by Mark Scott for all the points.

Next week Coagh are at home to Ballymoney United; Hagan Park 3pm. Coagh Swifts are at home to Hill Street in the Marshall Shield Coagh Sports Centre 3pm.