Coagh battle to win over Limavady

Coagh United defender Scott McGeown battles for the ball against Institute
Coagh United defender Scott McGeown battles for the ball against Institute

Coagh United 2 Limavady United 1

Coagh had to battle for their first league win of the season against fellow basement club Limavady.

This was a game neither team needed to lose and it showed on the pitch as both teams worked hard for possession.

The home side kicked off and put pressure on the visitors from the start. Coagh were awarded a penalty on four minutes, after a Scott McGeown cross was handled in the area. The alert lines man spotted the infringement and instructed the referee accordingly. Jason Gillespie made no mistake from the spot.

Three minutes later Gillespie made it two for Coagh when he rifled home Steven Park’s cross from outside the box.

Four minutes later, Limavady were awarded a spot kick, again from the Lines person, but William Hassan made an excellent stop off the post from a Paul Browne kick to save Coagh’s blushes.

Hassan again came to Coagh’s rescue with a fine save from Brown. Both sides huffed and puffed in front of goal but just could not make the break-through.

On 24 minutes Limavady’s Johnny Hume broke the Coagh off side trap and an inch perfect pass saw Hassan again save Coagh as he turned the ball just round the post.

Jamie Tomelty and Marcus Dallas showed glimpses of what they are capable of with one to one passes that set Jason Gillespie free but Brown in the visitor’s goal made the save.

Park, Tomelty and Dallas all had wayward shots before the visitors missed a golden opportunity to go clear. Paul Brown broke clear of the Coagh defence and after a couple of side steps he was left with all the space in the world to pick his spot and the visitors were back in the mix.

A James Ferguson last ditch clearance kept Coagh ahead at the start of the second half and Hassan had to handle well as Limavady pushed to level.

Going three at the back after a couple of changes the visitors looked good pushing Coagh back with Johnny Hume going close after running clear.

Coagh lost Dallas and Tomelty through injury; both players playing through the pain barrier in an effort to get Coagh up and running. Mattie Kempton and Scott McCordick came off the bench to give Coagh a different dimension.

Kempton missed a difficult chance in front of goal while McCordick used his experience to hold things up as the clock run down. Near the end Limavady’s Friel went down looking for a soft penalty while Coagh’s Mattie Kempton tried one from the half way after McCordick had lured the keeper into no mans land.

In the end it was the result Coagh needed, maybe only one place up the league table but a moral boosting win. Let’s hope Coagh can build on this win next week with a home match against Lisburn Distillery.

Coagh: Hassan, McGeown, Ferguson, Calderwood, Glasgow, Park, Tomelty (McCordick), Dallas (Kempton), Donaldson, Gillespie, Lamont, Anderson , Young.

Limavady: Brown, Mullan, McClelland McGregor, R Brown, Louge, Harkin, McFadden, Brown, Hume, Friel, Burke, Clyde, Hardy, McGraw. Referee: John Deighan.