Coagh continue great run of form

Coagh United 2 PSNI 0

COAGH maintained their league form with another three points against a hard working Police side. This was certainly a match of two halves. Coagh completely dominated the first but the Bobbies regrouped and had Coagh under the baton for a large part of the second half.

Coagh’s first chance fell to Lamont after five minutes. Steven Park supplied the pass but the striker shot wide. Coagh continued to force the play; David Calderwood went on a sizzling run from the back but was hit by a red light outside the penalty area. Jason Gillespie took on the responsibility of the free kick with his curling shot just too high of Wilson goal.

At the other end Johnny Yorke was alert to save from Mark Holden as the PSNI tried to catch the home side on the break. On sixteen minutes a double save by Wilson from Donaldson and Gillespie kept the visitors in the match and the visitors keeper again kept his sheet clean with three more excellent saves from Lamont, Park and Gillespie. Coagh forced three more corners before the breakthrough finally came.

An excellent run from Steven Park into the penalty area saw the same player tumbled over. Referee Lee Tavinder had no hesitation pointing straight to the spot and after the usual confrontations, Coagh’s Jason Gillespie held his nerve to put Coagh one up on thirty five minutes. Two minutes later and after the move of the match, the home side extended their lead.

Donaldson and Park sliced the visitors apart with Lamont finishing the move with an excellent goal against Wilson. The visitors made clear the match was far from over just before the break. The experienced Rory Hamill showed quality under pressure, forcing Coagh’s Johnny Yorke into a rare first half save and Yorke again had to on top of his game when Paris latched onto a terrible back pass from David Calderwood.

A recharged Police force came out fired up in the second half and forced three corners in a row. The first twenty minutes saw the Bobbies force the play but Coagh’s back line lead by Steven Hawe held firm.

With the PSNI boss Jimmy Brown suspended and watching the match from the stands, he was soon forced into making a flurry of mobile calls as the visitors were first to make a move of the bench. Gabby replaced May at the back while the injured Paris was replaced by Wille Fry. In a last throw of the dice Gary O’Neill made way for Lennon and the Spurs name sake could have reduced the score line but shot wide from a good position.

Hamill again forced Coagh back but the killer touch was missing. The home side’s movement of the bench came late but when Johnny Black and Glenn Clarke came on they made an immediate impact forcing four corners in a row.

As the pendulum swung back in Coagh favour the match petered out, the home side had done enough to secure another three points. This Saturday Coagh welcome, Armagh City to Hagan Park. Armagh sit on fifth place just four points behind Coagh but the City side have a game in hand and will be looking to narrow the gap. Kick off 3pm.

Coagh: Johnny Yorke, James Ferguson, (Glenn Clarke) Aaron Thornton, David Calderwood, Steven Hawe Capt, Steven Park, Aaron Campbell, Steven Lamont, Colin Donaldson, Jason Gillespie, (Johnny Black) Mark Scott, Barry Anderson

PSNI: K Wilson, P Greener, P May, (Gabby) C Boyd, G Philson, G Brown, O Paris, (Fry) G O’Neill, (Lennon) M Forsythe, R Hamill, Capt Mark Holden

Referee: Mr Lee Tavinder Dungannon , Referee Assistants : L Ormsby and D Anderson

Coagh United Res 2-1 Banbridge Rangers.

Coagh United Reserves returned to league action on Saturday. After defeat last Saturday and a poor performance in the Irish Junior Cup manager’s Chris Leacock and George Lennox were looking to get a response from their players and that’s exactly what they got with a dominant performance from start to finish.

From the kick off Coagh created plenty of chances but just missed the killer edge in front of goal. On thirty five minutes a good flowing move ended with full back Philip Stewart shooting wide.

Five minutes later Banbridge finally buckled under pressure. Mark Taylor broke down the right wing crossing for Clive Campbell to stab home from ten yards. In the lead the home side literally took their eye of the ball which gave the visitors a chance. A twenty yard free kick was played short into the Coagh back line and in the scramble to clear the Banbridge number nine poked home the equaliser. Halftime 1-1

The visitors controlled the play early on and were on top for the first ten minutes but Coagh weathered the storm with some excellent defending from their midfield and back four. The home side gradually regained control as Andrew Creighton was on target on fifty seven minutes but an excellent save from the keeper prevented the veteran from scoring.

The home side continued to pressure and their patience paid off on sixty two minutes. From twelve yards out Clive Campbell scored his and Coagh’s second with a rasping shot. In the final minutes of the match the winning margin could have been more with chances falling to Lee Hunter, and an effort from Robert Allen just flying wide but Coagh had done enough and this result sees the young swifts move into joint 2nd place along with Armagh City Res in the new Reserve Championship.

On Sat 8th Oct Coagh Res have no fixture but will return to League action away to Annagh Res on Sat 15th October. Kick off 2-15pm.

Coagh Res; Graham McKenzie, Simon Young, (Timothy Graham 77min)Phillip Stewart, Andy Neill, Steven Glasgow, Mark Taylor,(Ryan Sinclair 72min) Lee Hunter, Phillip McGarvey, Ally Young, Andrew Creighton, (Robert Allen 65min) Clive Campbell, Alex Lees, Joel Wylie GK .