Coagh find Irish Cup exit hard to stomach

Premiership side Lisburn Distillery had to come from behind to score four late goals in an entertaining match at New Grosvenor Stadium after Championship outfit Coagh United had taken a 53 minute lead.

Coagh may have held on to that lead but for some very poor refereeing decisions by the officials that certainly changed the outcome of this game. Mr Carvill also refused to talk to the Coagh Manager or the Coagh Secretary after the match which showed he had no respect for the any of the Coagh officials.

After an edgy start Coagh settled down and forced the first corner of the match. The Whites came close twice early on but found Coagh’s Johnny Yorke in top form.

Yorke was unlucky to go into the Referee’s book after he awarded a penalty. He had clearly played the ball but the official had a different opinion. Justice was done when Jordan Hughes fired well wide off the post.

The visitors continued to battle and held on to go in with a deserved draw at the break.

Jason Gillespie fired Coagh ahead with a diving header from Steven Parks cross on 53 minutes but Coagh’s ten minute lead was cancelled out after Michael Haliday headed home a corner that never should have been given.

Moments before, the ball had clearly went out of play for a goal kick, but the referee ignored Coagh’s call and Calderwood had to clear his lines.

Worse was to come for Coagh moments later, a second penalty call after a foul by a Distillery player in the area was deemed to be a foul against Coagh.

Johnny Yorke made the save from Phillip Simpson but could do nothing to stop the same player knocking in the rebound.

Behind, Coagh threw everything at the home defence but exposed at the back the Whites went on to score two more through Hughes and one from Scott Davidson.

Coagh United would like to wish Lisburn Distillery the best of luck in the next round against Dundela.

Coagh’s manager said after the match, “We are proud of our players today they battled hard and the score line does not give them any justice.

“On the Referee, we strive to have good relationship with all officials but Mr Carvill’s refusal to talk to us is not only bad manners but puts a division between Management and Officials. We at least deserved an explanation on some of those decisions today.”

Lisburn Distillery: Windrum, Smyth, Hunter, McCullough, Davidson, Simpson, McCann, Boyd Traynor, Ferguson, Hughes, Forsythe, Stinson, Halliday.

Coagh United: Johnny Yorke, Aaron Thornton, Scott McGeown, James Ferguson, David Calderwood, Barry Anderson, Steven Park, Jason Gillespie, Scott McCordick, Marcus Dallas, Glenn Clarke, Stephen Lamont, Mattie Kempton, and Aaron Campbell.

Officials: Mr H. Carvill, Mr K. Ross, Mr P. Robinson

Coagh United would like to thank Jamison Bar in Portadown for the excellent Breakfast for the Management and Players before their Irish Cup match.

This week Coagh United travel to HW Welders in the League. Kick off at Tillysburn is 2pm.