Coagh in relegation dogfight

Coagh 1 Institute 2

Thursday, 11th April 2013, 12:34 pm
A chance wasted as Coagh's Stephen Lamont slots this effort well wide during the home game against Institute. INMM1513-142ar.

Coagh are now equal on points at the bottom with Bangor, the Seasiders playing their game in hand against Larne on Tuesday night and earning a 0-0 draw at Inver Park as Coagh are now just above the basement club because of a four goal better differential.

Nothing other than a win will do for Coagh against Bangor next Saturday; this match has been tagged as the relegation battle of the season. Other strugglers Larne grabbed a point at home to Loughgall while Tobermore lost heavily at Carrick.

In Saturday’s match against Institute, Coagh never turned up. The riverside team were tactically better and took the home side apart with flowing football.

Right from the kick off Johnny Yorke became Coagh’s saviour holding a well hit shot from McCauley. The home side had a few runs at goal in the first fifteen but nothing to bother Marty Gallagher in the visitors’ goal.

Coagh’s Johnny Yorke made three more outstanding saves but, when Stute broke with a long teasing ball, Thornton missed the challenge letting Darren McCauley in to lob Yorke for the first goal of the match.

Coagh again huffed and puffed but lacked imagination and drive to make any telling moves. The home side’s rearguard worked overtime to keep the score at one going in at the break.

At the start of the second Coagh were forced to replace Lamont through injury with Adam Colbert and the midfielder was soon into the action setting up McGeown for a cross but again the visitors dealt with the danger and put together another assault on the Coagh goal which saw Yorke pushing Parkhill’s shot out for a corner.

On sixty three minutes Coagh were two behind, a driving cross from the right was headed into the corner of the net by Parkhill. Coagh replaced Thornton with Kempton, while Mark Taylor replaced Dallas soon after as Coagh pushed to get something out of this match.

A curling free kick from Scott McCordick after Kempton had won the free was fumbled by Gallagher allowing Gillespie an easy tap in. With the clock running down Referee Danny Colton turned down a penalty appeal for Gillespie.

This was to be Coagh’s last action at that end of the pitch. The visitors carved out another corner and ran down the clock to keep their hopes of a top three finish alive.

This Saturday Coagh travel to Bangor for a 3pm start, after that it’s away to the Welders and Carrick, while the last match oF the season will be played at Hagan Park against Larne on Saturday 27th April a 3pm.

Coagh; Johnny Yorke, Scott McGeown, Aaron Thornton (Mattie Kempton), David Calderwood, James Ferguson, Barry Anderson, Stephen Lamont (Adam Colbert), Scott McCordick, Jason Gillespie, Marcus Dallas (Mark Taylor), David Nicholl.