Coagh lose out to fiery Seasiders

BREAK... Coagh Utd's Stephen Park breaks forward during last Saturday's league clash with Portstewart.mm45-332sr Picture : SIMON ROBINSON.
BREAK... Coagh Utd's Stephen Park breaks forward during last Saturday's league clash with Portstewart.mm45-332sr Picture : SIMON ROBINSON.

Coagh United 2

Portstewart 4

COAGH came crashing down to earth on Guy Fawkes day to a fiery Portstewart side. Coagh had nothing to show especially in the first half bar a few damp squibs in front of the Portstewart goal.

The home side looked a bit better for a period in the second half and did manage to pull two back before they again started to fire blanks as the visitors took advantage of Coaghs dreadful defending and soon Coagh’s reign at the top was well and truly over.

The fireworks started as early as the first minute when Johnny Yorke punched into his own net from James Peden free kick and Yorke again came under scrutiny when Tommy Parsons broke clear but this time Yorke handled well.

Coagh struggled to get any rhythm going in their mid quarter while Portstewart just sat, picked on Coaghs mistakes and kept the pressure on the home goal. Johnny Dinsmore shot wide, Che Bradley shot wide while Sam Boylan was kicking himself after he broke clear but shot wide of the target. Coaghs best chance fell to Jason Gillespie, Campbell and Lamont got the striker in but too many touches in front of Madison made it an easy take for the Portstewart stopper.

The Seasiders continued to pressurise the Coagh defence and deserved to go two ahead on thirty three minutes. Coagh struggled to get back from their corner kick after Madison had made the save, his clearance found Che Bradley in space and he gave Yorke no chance with a low drive under his body.

At the start of the second half Coagh fired a few more blanks but a dreadful misunderstanding in the Coagh back line let Sam Boylan in for the simplest of goals. Both Steven Hawe and Johnny Yorke misunderstood each other. Hawe let the ball past him and the confused Yorke watched as Sam Boylan’s shot trickled into the net. The game looked over but Coagh made three changes and the revival started.

Off went Hawe, Scott and Gillespie for Thornton, Dallas and Clarke and straight away the home side were back in it. A simple cross from McGeown was blasted home by Lamont. Looking brighter Clarke pulled a second back with a pin point header from a Donaldson cross. Coagh camped in the visitors eighteen and missed at least eight more chances before James Peden wrapped up the points for the visitors when he took advantage of more kamikaze defending.

Coagh managers Uprichard and Mitchell were rightfully angry after the match.

“None of our players performed today. We missed chance after chance but our positioning and defending from the front to the back of our team today was horrible”.

This week Coagh travel to Chimney corner for a 2pm kick off.

Coagh: Johnny Yorke, Scott McGeown, James Ferguson, David Calderwood, Steven Hawe, (Aaron Thornton) Steven Park, Stephen Lamont, Colin Donaldson, Jason Gillespie (Glen Clarke) Aaron Campbell, Mark Scott, (Marcus Dallas)

Portstewart: 1 Joel Maddison, 2 Andrew White, 3 Andy Todd, 4 Gary Taylor, 5 Ian Todd, 6 Che Bradley, 7 Johnny Dinsmore, 8 James Peden, 9 Sam Boylan, 10 Ryan MacAllister, 11 Tommy Parsons, 12Conor Ferguson, 14 Colin Finlay, 15 Chris Donnell

Referee: Mr T. Marshall, Referee Assistants Mr C. Park, Mr M. Patterson

Reserve Championship

Rathfriland Swifts 1

Coagh United Res 2

COAGH Res made the long to trip to Rathfriland hoping to keep their recent good league form intact and started the first half confidently creating numerous chances. The best chance of the half fell to Mark Taylor who was put through by Johnny Black on 21 mins, but the home keeper saved well.

Coagh dominated the 1st half, Matty Kempton’s left wing cross found Philly McGarvey at the back post but he failed to convert, Jonny Black fired over soon after on 27 mins. Coagh where further frustrated as another chance fell to Ally Young. Half time 0-0

At halftime the injured Mark Taylor was replaced by Lee Hunter. Coagh failed to live up to their first half performance against a much improved Rathfriland team but on 60 mins Coagh finally made the breakthrough, a shot from McGarvey was pushed out by the home keeper and Jonny Black was first to react to head home.

The home side pushed for the equaliser but good defending kept them at bay. After more pressure the home side drew level on 72 mins, the ball being fired in from 10yards leaving McKenzie no chance.

After the restart Rathfriland should have taken the lead but for a great save by McKenzie. With 5 mins remaining Coagh’s Lee Hunter was sent off after picking up his second yellow, with the task now made harder Coagh never gave up and got their reward on the 90th minute. Matty Kempton intercepted a Rathfriland move he released Andrew Creighton who broke free and squared for Ally Young to take all 3 points.

Coagh Res home this week to Newry City Res Kick off 2-15pm Coagh Sports Centre.

1. Graham McKenzie 2. Timmy Graham (Andy Neill 65mins) 3.Phillip Stewart 4. Barry Anderson 5. Steven Glasgow 6.Mark Taylor (Lee Hunter 45mins) 7.Clive Campbell (Andrew Creighton 74mins) 8.Phillip McGarvey 9 Jonny Black 10 Ally Young 11 Matty Kempton 15. Alex Lees.