Coagh win marred by Lamont injury

BATTLE... Coagh Utd's Steven Lamont battles for the ball during last Saturday's league clash with Portstewart at Hagan Park.mm45-331sr Picture : SIMON ROBINSON.
BATTLE... Coagh Utd's Steven Lamont battles for the ball during last Saturday's league clash with Portstewart at Hagan Park.mm45-331sr Picture : SIMON ROBINSON.

Chimney Corner 2

Coagh United 6

THE loss of Coagh’s Stephen Lamont in the second half marred a very good win against a feisty Chimney Corner side.

The Coagh forward, who had scored his twelfth goal of the season, was stretchered off into an Ambulance after 65 minutes.

The news on Stephen is that he is home on crutches with ligament damage to the knee; Coagh will have to wait and see the full extent of the injury and will be hoping it will be minimal. Everyone connected with Coagh wish Stephen a speedy recovery.

Coagh went to Chimney hoping to avoid the potential banana skin and were lucky to go in at the half with a slim one-goal lead. The visitors opened the scoring after seven minutes after Stephen Lamont had waltzed through the Corner defence to slide the ball past the stranded David Rowan.

Coagh’s lead was short lived after a period of sustained pressure from the home side. Adam Grey broke clear of the Coagh defence to shoot but Johnny Yorke palmed his shot straight to the feet of Paul McAteer who easily levelled from close range.

After a few frights from the visitors and when it looked like they had turned the corner and finally got back into the game, lady luck eluded them again.

Corners Henry Nutter did well after good play from the home side but he and his teams mates could not believe it when his goal bound shot came crashing off the cross bar to safety.

There was worse to come for the home side in the 46th minute, just when it looked like they had done enough to keep the scores even, up popped Coagh’s Glen Clarke at the back post to turn in Steven Parks cross.

The home side’s woes continued at the start of the second half when again they lost another player through injury. Off went Paul McAteer to be replaced by Jason Todd, all credit to the home side they continued to work hard and again were rewarded when Willigan headed home off the upright to level the spoils after the hour. Things looked bad for Coagh when they lost striker Stephen Lamont who was eventually replaced by Mark Scott after a twenty minute delay.

Coagh resumed service with a header from centre back Aaron Thornton to go 3-2 up and Coagh’s Aaron Campbell put the tie out of reach when he slid home a Dallas pass on 78 minutes.

Ironically this was Campbell’s last kick of the ball as he was replaced by Jason Gillespie. Gillespie was quickly into the fray, making it five from close range.

Well in control Coagh finished the rout with a penalty which saw Gillespie score his second from the spot.

After a sloppy performance against Portstewart and a shaky first half today, Coagh should be happy to get back on track but know they need to be a lot better over the next three matches if they are to continue to challenge for top spot.

First up this week is a home match to Ballyclare Comrades, kick off 2pm Hagan Park.

On the 26th November Coagh have no fixture due to a bye in the Intermediate Cup, after that it is away to Queens on the 3rd December and away to Knockbreda on the 17th December. All these matches have a 2pm start.

Coagh United Chairman, Committee, Management and Players deeply regret the passing of Helen Gibson, Mother of Alan, Robin, David, Keith and Anne and pass on their deepest sympathy to them and the Gibson family circle.

Chimney Corner: D. Rowan, McAuley, S. Irvine, Walker, McMillen, Kirkwood,( H. Nutter,) D. Murray, R Carson, McAteer, (J Todd), A Grey, K Anderson.

Coagh United: Johnny Yorke, Scott McGeown, James Ferguson, David Calderwood, Aaron Thornton, Steven Park, Marcus Dallas, Colin Donaldson, Stephen Lamont, (Mark Scott) Glen Clarke, Aaron Campbell, (Jason Gillespie ) Johnny Black.

Coagh United Res 1-0 Newry City Res

This was a top of table clash in the Reserve Championship which started at a frantic pace. It was Newry that created the early chances with their best chance on 9 mins fired over by the Newry forward from 8 yards.

Coagh gradually got themselves into the game with chances of their own. On 15 mins Coagh were awarded a free kick for hand ball. Ally Young’s resulting strike took a deflection off a Newry player which wrong footed the keeper putting Coagh one up. The half continued with end to end football but chances were limited with good defending by both sides.

On 40 mins Coagh lost the services of Phillip McGarvey to a nasty ankle injury, Andrew Creighton replaced the unlucky McGarvey. Half-time 1-0

Newry started the second half in determined mood and put Coagh on the back foot, but that determination was matched by keeper McKenzie and his back four who held firm. On 69 mins Newry thought they had the equaliser with a back post header but to be denied by the referee’s whistle for off side. This was a warning and after being on the back foot for so long they finally pushed forward to create a good chance of their own.

On 85 minutes veteran Andrew Creighton was put through, rounded the advancing keeper, squared for Young but a Newry defender got back in time to block the shot. Coagh continued to battle against an impressive Newry side but when the Referee’s whistle sounded Coagh got their reward after an excellent battle and another very good 3 points. This Saturday 19th November Coagh Res, travel to Annagh United Res for a 2-15pm start.

Coagh Reserves - 1.Graham McKenzie 2.Timothy Graham 3.Phillip Stewart 4.Barry Anderson 5. Andy Neill 6. Mark Taylor 7. Stephen Glasgow 8. Phillip McGarvey (Andrew Creighton 40mins ) 9. Ally Young 10. Clive Campbell 11. Matty Kempton

Subs: 14. Ally McGuckin 15. Alex Lees 16.Robert Allen 17. Keith McGaw