Coalisland find it all too easy against Derryhirk

Coalisland 5 Derryhirk 0

Sunday, 10th February 2013, 9:36 am

Coalisland Athletic played host to Derryhirk in the league at Gortgonis and bagged three vital points in a 5-0 victory.

From the start Coalisland pushed forward and were unlucky not to be a goal up as Colm Doris played the ball to Shane Coney whose shot was saved by the advancing keeper.

Coalisland were playing some great one touch football but their final touch was letting them down as they began to cause Derryhirk all sorts of problems but couldn’t finish the final ball.

Coalisland’s hard work paid off when Doris picked up a long pass and slid the ball beyond the keeper to Coney who slotted it into the net.

With eight minutes of the half remaining Derryhirk had their first chance when a header come off the post, his reflec shot sailing wide.

Coalisland restarted the brighter and were soon 2-0 up as a ball, Coney dummying the pass and turning the ball into the path of Joe McKee who rounded the keeper and planted the ball in the empty net.

The third came when John Casey fed Shane Coney who crossed for Gary Coney to head home.

Goal four came with fifteen minutes left, McKee with his second after great build-up play, their fifth arriving via the head of Patrick Doris.

This was a great result for coalisland as they played some great one-touch football, everyone playing his part.

This week Coalisland are at home in the Alexander Cup against Silverwood.

Coalisland Reserves were away to Moneyslaine and came home with a draw, going 1-0 down because of poor defending before Ciaran O’Neill equalised.

From a corner, Gerry Sweeney’s effort sailed into the net with about left ten minutes left, but Moneysaline equalised.

However, Coalisland went straight up field to make it 2-3 and the game should have been well and truly over.

During 12 minutes of added time, Coalisland thought the referee had blown for a free-kick - but Moneyslaine sent the ball forward and, with Coalisland stopped, they kicked the ball into the net and referee awarded the goal, final score 3-3.