Comedy of errors as Coagh settle for a point

Coagh United 3

Wakehurst 3

COAGH’S hangover after losing against Warrenpoint last week continued and they had to come from behind twice to salvage a point off Wakehurst at Mill Meadow on Saturday.

Coagh started with another new signing, their third in a month, Dungannon Swift’s player Paul Stretton has signed on loan until May and started in the number nine shirt.

Two bazaar goals one for each side, reminded me of that famous Liverpool goalkeeper, (Brucie drop a lot) probably cost both teams a chance to take all the points.

In a fast flowing match played on the very quick synthetic surface saw both teams play some excellent end to end football especially on the break.

The home side were first to show after a minute with Conor Gregg forcing Murphy into an early save. Coagh struggled with the quickness of the pitch early on but when they found their footing they started to control the match and were unlucky when Kidd broke from the right only to see his effort deflected for the first corner of the match.

Dallas shot over from Kidd’s kick while moments later Thornton shot over from a Gardiner free kick. Coagh saw two more chances deflected wide, McCordick’s shot on the turn was pushed round by Marks and the home goal stopper did well again moments later pushing aside a Steven Hawe header.

On 35 minutes the home side took the lead with a very funny goal. Gregg broke down the right; Murphy punched his cross onto the path off Paul. The ball then was saved by Murphy but as he got up he lost his grip on the ball and it trickled into the net.

Even the Coagh keeper saw the funny side of what was an unbelievable goal that gave the home side an easy head start against the run of play. Before the end of the half, Wakehurst’s keeper made two excellent stops from McCordick after good link up play involving Stretton, Gardiner and Park.

Coagh forced their sixth corner of the match at the start of the second half, McCordick shot wide and moments later Stretton shot over.

The visitors reshuffled their pack early on bring on McGeown for the injured Richard Allen. The attacking defender soon got into the action, supplying McCordick, but the forward was brought down and from the spot Gardiner put Coagh back on level terms after sending Marks the wrong way.

Coagh again made a change, this time Stretton made way for Smyth, the Coagh player quickly linked with McCordick but again the number ten shot wide. Wakehurst had just made their first change and what a change it was.

Andrew Laughlin was only on the field when he waltzed unchallenged through the Coagh defence to score.

Back in the driving seat the home side had two more chances to seal the game through Gregg and Paul but a free kick and a header from Park levelled the scores once again.

Three minutes later the home side were back in charge, Coagh again failed to get the ball out at the back and the impressive Jason Paul slipped in to score what looked like the winner.

They say lightning doesn’t strike twice but at the same end as the first bazaar goal it was the Wakehurst keeper who made the blunder this time. Roy of the Rovers Smyth turned and shot, it should have been a simple save for the keeper but somehow the ball went under Marks to give Coagh a share of the spoils.

Next week Coagh entertain Sports and Leisure at Hagan Park, kick off 3 pm. Coagh’s Management and players would like to thank the larger number of Coagh supporters who travelled to Saturday match. In recent weeks the Coagh faithful have saw a win, a loss and a draw but they will be hoping for all the points on Saturday and see their team keep in contention for promotion to Championship One.