Cookstown Oympic and Killymoon Reserves fight out six goal derby draw

Cookstown Olympic 3

Killymoon Reserves 3

Cookstown Olympic took on Killymoon Reserves on Wednesday 10th April with a 6.45pm kick off and had to settle for a three all draw.

Killymoon boasted a number of first team players and their star man was first choice keeper Michael Brown who pulled off a string of saves to deny Olympic.

Killymoon went one up after 8 minutes and then had a defender sent off after 15 minutes as he was the last man and from the resultant free kick Ryan O’Neill’s shot came back off the post.

Olympic were level after 20 minutes as Mickey O’Hare got Matty Hughes away on the right and his shot could only be parried into the net. Olympic put the extra man to good use and piled the pressure on Killymoon but their keeper made three great saves from Ryan O’Neill and another from Matty Hughes before the half was over.

At the start of the second half Olympic keeper Jamie O’Neill made a great save and then Olympic went 2-1 in front after 55 minutes when a Ryan O’Neill corner was headed to the net by Ryan Devlin.

Olympic should have stretched their lead on 60 minutes as Ryan Devlin skied a volley over the bar from 10 yards out while Killymoon scored an equaliser after 65 minutes.

It was Olympic who then grabbed the lead again on 72 minutes when a Ryan O’Neill through ball found the run of Matty Hughes who grabbed his second of the match. Two minutes later and Hughes was released on goal again but was upended with no free kick while on 75 minutes Killymoon got another equaliser when a fluke backward header went in off the Olympic bar.

An ugly off the ball incident then saw the Killymoon centre forward red carded while Olympic still pushed for the winner on 79 minutes with Conor O’Hare squaring to Ryan Devlin who was then took out by the keeper without a penalty awarded. Matty Hughes then made the Killymoon keeper once again save to deny Olympic the winner in the 87th minute.

Olympic: Jamie O’Neill, C O’Reilly, L Mullan, Jonny O’Neill, M Meenan, M O’Hare, L Hoy, R Devlin, R Scullion, M Hughes and R O’Neill. Subs: C O’Hare, E McElduff and T Brennan.

Cookstown Olympic entertained the in form Antrim Rovers team last Saturday and eventually lost six two.

Antrim opened the scoring after 8 minutes and then Olympic hit the bar after 10 minutes from Mickey O’Hare. The Antrim lead was then doubled after 16 minutes and Olympic grabbed a goal back after 32 minutes when a Ryan O’Neill cross was headed in by Ryan Devlin.

The scores were level after 38 minutes as Ryan Devlin put a ball into the box and Ryan O’Neill pressure forced the keeper to fumble and he tapped it into the net. On 40 minutes Connor O’Hare put Ryan Devlin through on goal but his shot hit the underside of the bar and came out to safety.

At the start of the second half Olympic had another chance after 47 minutes as Eamon McSloy put one over the top for Ryan Devlin but his chip over the keeper was just wide. That was the best Olympic could offer as they were hit by an Antrim purple patch that saw four goals in 15 minutes which killed off any hopes of a positive result from the match.

Team: Ja O’Neill, E McSloy, M Meenan, L Hoy, Jo O’Neill, P McVey, C O’Hare, R Scullion, M O’Hare, R Devlin, R O’Neill and M Hughes.

Next Saturday Olympic will travel to Ballymoney to play Glebe Rangers Res.

The Lucky 4 Lottery numbers for Saturday 13th April were 11, 12, 17 and 24. There were no winners who matched four numbers for the £450 jackpot or 3 numbers. The jackpot will now be £450 for next week’s draw and tickets are available from any committee or team member.