Cookstown Youth FC latest match reports

CYFC 11s 2

Dungannon Utd Youth 5

Patterson, Donnelly

MOM : Rian Mullan

LAST Saturday the ‘new batch’ suffered only their third league defeat of the season to local rivals Dungannon at Fairhill.

Dungannon raced into a two goal lead within the first ten minutes of the game to leave their Cookstown rivals in total shock thanks to some good movement and passing and unusual hesitancy and nervousness in the Cookstown back five.

The Cookstown lads lifted their game with Shane Murphy seeing a corner suspiciously cleared off the Dungannon goal line and a snap shot by Luke Patterson slipping just past the right hand post. Murphy then saw two good drives hit the upright before half time. Into the second half the game looked all done and dusted when a Cookstown defender got the wrong side of his player and his challenge ending with a Dungannon penalty and a three goal lead.

To their credit the Cookstown lads kept their chins up and got a goal back through Luke Patterson who buried his shot through a melee of players on the Dungannon goal line. With their tails up the Sizzlers pounced again after good work from Jamie Marlin. His fine cross was met by Joseph Donnelly who clinically finished at the near post from ten yards. Unfortunately Cookstown again gave away a soft penalty with Dungannon on the rack to make it 4-2. Manager Gerry Quinn wrung the changes to add freshness to tiring legs but unfortunately Dungannon broke clear again to make it 5-2. Overall Dungannon deserved their win but the Cookstown lads must count themselves a little unlucky to not take something out of the game.

Team: S. Black, R. Mullan, R. Mclean, W. Kenning, S. Murphy, L. Glasgow, I. Donaghy, D. Bigger, J. Marlin, H. Wilson, L. Patterson, B. Patterson, C. Bigger, J. Donnelly, J. Campbell, D. Wensley

CYFC 12s 0 Ridgeway Stars 6

Cookstown were massive underdogs for this Irish Cup clash but produced a solid first half display to worry their opponents. Tyler Anderson was reading the game superbly at the back as he got across to cover both his full backs. Matthew Scott and Nathan Connolly were putting in some good challenges in midfield whilst Sam Hardy supplied some subtle balls to the front two who almost escaped their markers on several occasions.

A great cross field ball from Tom Black to his strike partner Mark Cochrane almost created a shock goal but the effort was narrowly wide. Ridgeway took the lead when Kaelum Irvine was unlucky to put in a saving tackle but it deflected into the strikers path who made no mistake. Cookstown found it tough battling against a fierce breeze in the second half and conceded two quick goals.

To their credit cookstown kept their spirits up and Tom Black tested the keeper. Matthew Glendinning made a good stop from a penalty kick but couldn’t prevent another two late strikes to leave a somewhat harsh scoreline.

A pleasing display from an improving squad and hopes are high for a good end to the season for the lads.

CYFC 13s 2

Banbridge Rangers 1

Devlin (2)

MOM : Kyle Devlin

ON an awful morning for football Cookstown won the battle, but only just.

The wind swept across the pitch from one goal to another making it a complete game of two halves, with Cookstown playing with the wind in the first half. The coaches knew it was going to require a few goals lead if they were to win the game and the game started at a fast pace, with Devlin and Hughes combining well, only for the keeper to save the shot.

The defence of Donnelly, O’Hare, Keane and Buchanon were still kept busy in the first half, despite the howling wind and only for Gareth McCrea being aware and sharp off his line Banbridge might have led. However a brilliant individual goal put Cookstown in the lead. Surrounded by defenders Kyle Devlin side-stepped two of them before firing it hard and low into the net to open his account for the day and putting Cookstown 1-0 up. And he quickly made it two when his snap shot caught the keeper unaware and he fired it in over the top of him. 2-0 to Cookstown at half time.

The coaches re-iterated the players to keep their focus and belief in a tough second half. The back four were already under big pressure immediately in the second half and only for some superb tackles coming in from O’Hare and Buchanon it might have been tighter. To their credit Banbridge kept the pressure on and Cookstown responded by launching quick counter attacks to set Hughes and Arrell away but it just wouldn’t go in the net

. Luke McCrea was brought on for Connor Donnelly to bring fresh legs but it was Banbridge who scored next. A scramble inside the box fell kindly for the forward who gave McCrea no chance. Half chances came and went for both teams but no further goals came and Cookstown will be delighted to have won the game despite the terrible conditions which didn’t allow for much football.

Squad: Young, Thom, Kelly, O’Hare, Buchanon, Dobson, Stewart, L McCrea, Dingley, Hughes, Arrell, G McCrea, Donnelly, Devlin and Keane (c).

Magherafelt Sky Blues 5

CYFC 14s 2

(Graham 2)

MOM : Parkinson

COOKSTOWN U14 side played Magherafelt Sky Blues at Moneymore on Saturday past in what could be deemed their local derby.

Cookstown started playing with a strong wind but all was fairly even with neither side really doing much in the last third of the pitch. Cookstown conceded a free kick some 20 yards out which was dispatched into the box. Matthew Wensley made a great double save but with a number of Cookstown defenders ball watching the Sky Blue’s player poked the ball home. A short time later a long ball over the top, which should have been a fairly comfortable clearance resulted in a lack of communication between keeper and defender G Adams which saw the Blue’s striker nip in to slip the ball home. 2-0 MSB.

The second half started after a half time chat which should have sorted things out but not too long into the second half and a reasonably easy shot saw Wensley drop the ball but seemed to gather it again, but the ball was in the net (3-0). Young Wensley confirmed after the game that the ball had been kicked out off his hands.

Then Cookstown started to play a bit of football and had the run of the game whilst doing so. A deep cross by Shea Glackin found Josh McAdoo who cut inside the defender and was deemed to have been pulled down and a rather soft penalty was awarded. Josh Graham stepped up and fired home. Within a few minutes an excellent defence splitting ball once again from Glackin saw the defender swipe and miss the ball leaving Graham to round the keeper to leave the score 3-2.

Then once again Cookstown slipped back to their usual ways and MSB scored direct from a corner, with 4 defenders on the near post and a good move down the right saw the resulting cross knocked home at the front post to leave the final score 5-2 and bragging rights to the Sky Blue’s.

Stevie Star said that he had never been as disappointed in a display of football in a long time. He added that he can’t get his head around the fact that we cannot deal with any team that has played the long ball game against us.

Noel McKenzie and Rodney Hutchinson added that they were also very disappointed in a very poor performance. All three were amazed at the lacklustre display. There were only a couple of the lads worthy of note today.

Wensley, Parkinson, G Adams, J Adams, Donnelly, Scott, Kane, McAdoo, Kilpatrick, Coney, Graham. Glasgow, McWilliams, Glackin, Johnston

Man of the Match: Kyle Parkinson.

CYFC 15s 2

St Marys 1

(W Donaghy J Holmes)

COOKSTOWN took the field at Fairhill in a 2nd round NI Cup tie and what a match it turned out to be.

Straight from the kick off St. Mary’s went on the attack and inside the first minute goalie C Reynolds had to make a good save after a defensive mistake to prevent the visitors taking the lead. Cookstown immediately countered and on 2 minutes a quick D Teague throw in was headed into the penalty box by M Megarry, picked up by W Donaghy who dummied his defender and chipped a beautiful left foot shot high into the roof of the net to put Cookstown one up against their supposed superior opposition.

Cookstown were in control and a 10 minute spell of pressure saw them force several corners. St Mary’s steadied themselves and C Reynolds pulled off 2 good saves in as many minutes to keep the score line intact. The match was end to end action at this stage and D Coyle and C McGovern combined to put pressure on the St Mary’s keeper following a mistake only to see McGovern’s shot go over the bar

With 5 minutes to half time Cookstown were awarded a penalty. A Bell stepped up and his low hard shot was saved by the keeper who was keeping them in the game. Half time arrived with Cookstown leading 1 nil when it really could have been 2 or 3. The second half started with Cookstown on the attack and D Coyle fed J Holmes down the left wing, he skinned 2 defenders, fired the ball across the six yard line but no Cookstown forward was alert enough to get on the end of it. The Cookstown pressure mounted with J Glasgow, M Megarry and W Donaghy creating chances galore for their forwards. St Mary’s were rattled and reverted to plan B, The dirty tricks department. It was to prove costly for them when their midfield play maker was sent off after 48 minutes for a cynical foul and abuse of the referee. 15 minutes into the second half good approach work down the left by M Corrigan, J Holmes and D Coyle produced a free kick on the left side of the penalty box. M Megarry fooled the St Mary’s keeper by going near post only to see his shot rebound off the inside of the post, sail across the goal line but again no Cookstown player was following up to tap in what would surely have been the decisive goal.

But with 7 minutes to go St Mary’s broke out of defence, put a good 5 man move together and hit Cookstown with the sucker punch to level the scores at 1 – 1.

Extra time was called for and Cookstown made substitutions with D O’Neill, G McElhone and S Taylor all coming on to add fresh legs in an effort to avoid the dreaded penalty shoot out. D O’Neill had a great chance just seconds from the end of the first period of extra time but pulled his shot just wide of the far post.

With two minutes remaining D Teague fired in the corner skilfully using the wind and J Holmes out jumped everyone to head in what would prove to be the winning goal.

This was a superb effort by the Cookstown team to overcome higher rated opposition. Such was the work rate it was impossible to single out any one individual for the man of the match award. MOM The team. A word of thanks to referee D Trainor who handled a very competitive match in his usual professional manner.

Team panel C Reynolds, D Teague, M Corrigan, A Bell, P Stewart, M Megarry, W Donaghy, D Coyle, C McGovern, J Glasgow, J Holmes, G McElhone, S Taylor, C McIvor, D O’Neill.

CYFC 18s 4

Rockview 1

(Kelly 3, Gates)

MOM- Kelly

A DREW Kelly hat-trick helped the U18s to a welcome home win over Newry side Rockview Utd at a windy Beechway.

The 18s got off to a great start when on 2 minutes Cohen’s good pass found Ramsay and his pass put Kelly in on goal and the striker kept up his recent goal scoring rate and finished to the back of the net at the second time of asking, after the keeper had blocked his first shot. The home team kept up the pressure on Rockview and Ramsey and Kelly linked well again and the striker’s shot was headed clear of the line.

The away team missed a great chance to level the score on 15 mins when they broke down the left and the cross found an unmarked player at the back post but his poor shot did not trouble Rainey in the home goal. The back four of Jordan, Kelso, Douglas and Leslie had to be at their best to break the Rockview attacks, in particular Douglas, who was a real rock at the back and was also able to break out of defence with the ball. The home team scored their second on 25 minutes when Douglas made a good break and found Ramsay whose cross was finished off by Kelly for his second of the match. This goal seamed to settle the home team and they started playing their good passing game with McIvor making some good penetrating runs through the middle.

On 35 mins Leslie had a bursting run down the left and turned inside, bamboozling the defender in the process, and put in a great cross with his right foot that Gates failed to get on the end off. Dickson then put McIvor away and his pass found Kelly who burst into the box but his shot was blocked and cleared for a corner, but the striker knows he should have squared the ball to the unmarked Ramsay who would have only had to put it into a empty net. Luckily from the resulting corner the home team got their 3rd, a great delivery from Cohen found the unmarked Gates who made no mistake from 6 yards out to put his side three up at half time.

The home team kept up the pressure on the away team and McIvor’s mazy run beat 4 players before he was brought down and Cohen hit the away teams crossbar from the resulting free kick.

Rockview then had a good spell as the home team seemed to turn off for the next 15 minutes. They hit the post on 55 minutes and then Kelso had to block a goal bound shot inside the 6 yard box. Douglas then made a great last ditch tackle to thwart the forward.

The home team got their fourth on 69mins when this time Kelso found Kelly with a long pass out of defence and the striker got to the ball just before the keeper to lob the keeper and score his 3rd and the teams 4th of the match.

Greer then replaced Ramsay and credit to the away team they never stopped working and pressed the home team every time. They got their reward on 75 mins, Jordan should have cleared the danger but got robbed at right back and the cross picked out an unmarked player who finished past Rainey.

M Rainey, A Jordan, J Leslie, J Douglas, G Kelso, G Dickson, J McIvor, S Gates, D Kelly, J Cohen, S Ramsay (R Greer 70), K Hill

Cookstown Youth FCs Development Centre Continues this Saturday 28th January at the Mid Ulster Sports Arena.

The first week of the second term got under way last Saturday with over 120 kids taking part, new players Girls or Boys are always welcome to attend. Coaching is from 10.30am for those born between 2002 and 2006 and runs until 11.30am .

The second session of coaching begins at 11.45am for those players born between 1997 and 2001 and this runs until 12.45pm. Costs are £3 per week per child.

Players are asked to arrive 15 minutes before the start of each session to allow for registration time !

CYFC would like to call on any footballing enthusiasts , either still playing or retired , who would have an interest in coaching on a Saturday morning. Our Development Centre has kids from 5yrs old and above , of all abilities , so why not give the number below a call and become involved in our vibrant and ambitious Club !

For any queries or concerns please contact the CYFC Dev. Centre mobile on 07771195353 or for all the latest update’s you can check the Cookstown Youth FC facebook page.

Fixtures for Saturday 28th January

Mid Ulster Youth League- Kick-off 10.30am

Armagh City v CYFC 11s @ TBC

Armagh City v CYFC 12s @ Ardmore

CYFC 13s v Dromore Amtrs @ Fairhill

CYFC 15s v Dromore Amtrs @ Fairhill

NIBFA Under 14s National League- Kick-off 11am

Institute v CYFC @ Wilton Park

Mid Ulster Under 18s Juvenile League- Kick-off 10am

Craigavon City v CYFC @ Lurgan