Cookstown Youth U11 force way into semis with victory over Portadown Colts

Cookstown U13s' Finton on the ball against Tandragee Rovers
Cookstown U13s' Finton on the ball against Tandragee Rovers


Cookstown Youth U11s hosted Portadown Colts last Saturday in the quarter final of the Mid Ulster Knockout Cup.

Cookstown U11 Michael weaves through against Portadown Youth.

Cookstown U11 Michael weaves through against Portadown Youth.

The Cookstown lads had defeated the boys from Shamrock Park earlier in the season but we’re expecting a more difficult game this time around and so it proved.

The Portadown boys started on the front foot and took an early lead through a fantastic strike from their striker which gave Scott Gillis in the Cookstown net no chance.

This seemed to kick-start the Cookstown boys into gear and they started to play their usual flowing football which resulted in the equalising goal. A ball in from the right hand side from Shea McCann landed to the feet of Kai Lamont and he made no mistake with his finish to level the scores.

However within a few minutes Portadown again took the lead. Some great play from the Portadown wide man in going past Kristian Levsins and then driving the ball to the corner of the Cookstown net.

A great ball from defender Ben McAdoo into Michael McElhatton put the midfielder into space and his shot was perfectly met by Keegan Hampsey to tie the game up again.

This time their was no lapse in concentration and the Cookstown boys really kicked on before the half time whistle. Michael McElhatton and Kai Lamont were controlling the midfield battle and with Harry Bownes stepping in from defence the Cookstown boys were well on top and before long took the lead for the first time in the game.

A looping ball from the wide area from Shea McCann found David Monaghan unmarked at the back post and he made no mistake. Then on the stroke of half time a pinpoint corner from Michael McElhatton was met by the head of Harry Bownes and the big defender powered the header to the net to leave the Cookstown lads leading 4-2 at the half time whistle.

If the first half was a tight affair then the second half was all one way traffic.The Cookstown boys really stepped up through the gears and moved further ahead. Firstly, David Monaghan got on the score sheet again and this was followed by a goal from Shea McCann.

The introduction then of Charlie Hawker, Jamie Shephard and Luke Haycock seemed to work wonders with all three having good performances. The scoring was then finished by a fine header from Michael McElhatton. The Cookstown boys move into the semi finals.

Cookstown: Scott Gillis, Ben McAdoo, Harry Bownes, Kristian Levsins, Shea McCann, Michael McElhatton, David Monaghan, Kai Lamont, Keegan Hampsey, Charlie Hawker, Jamie Shephard, Luke Haycock.


On a run of home games it was back to MUSA again on Saturday where Cooktown Youth U12 welcomed Tandragee U12s in the Mid Ulster Youth League.

Although a cold morning the rain came and went and allowed brief glimpses of the sunshine we expect this time of year all in all setting the perfect scene for the match.

Tandragee kicked off the first half and for a while it was the only touch of the ball that they had as Cookstown knocked the ball about with some sublime passing to ensure that their opponents where doing all the chasing.

Although the dominant side, Cookstown tried with fantastic build up play to get that all important breakthrough but, giving credit to the opposing goalkeeper, he stood strong and prevented the flurry of shots that came his way with the pick of the bunch coming from both Leek and O’Neill.

With Cookstown unable to convert their chances Tandragee managed on a few occasions to hit them on the break but soon saw their opportunities thwarted as the defence trio of Whitten, Morrison and Jeffers stood firm ensuring Monaghan had very little to do.

Nearing the end of the half and with their possession football Cookstown drew a foul from their opponents. Donaghy stepped up to take the free kick and although Tandragee had a height advantage he managed to get it over the wall and leave the opposing keeper planted to the floor as he watched the ball float over his head and in giving Cookstown a marginal lead at the break.

With the score line in their favour Cookstown kicked off the second half and maybe became a bit complacent giving their dominance in the first half as it wasn’t long before Tandragee had their own breakthrough and the game was tied.

Stepping up again and with the driving force of the midfield made up of Murphy, Donaghy and Larmour pushing higher up the pitch Tandragee yet again were feeling the barrage of shots that they had become accustomed to in the first half with their goalkeeper seemingly unbeatable as he kept his team in the game.

Larmour however made sure that this was not the case as coming in from the right side managed to drill his shot past him and Cookstown were back in front again.

As with the start of the half complacency set in and Cookstown saw their dominant play and lead diminish as Tandragee yet again managed to level the game completely against the run of play and with a minute of play left the clock beat them to the win.

Man of the match went to Larmour who ran the right side of the pitch, penetrated their defence on a number of occasions, passed his way out of trouble, and with his shot and goal thought that he had given his side the win.

A great game from Cookstown who gave their all going forward only to see their chances denied by a goalkeeper who was having his game of the season and although the spoils were shared they will feel this was a game that they should have won comfortably.

Cookstown: Monaghan, Whitten, Jeffers, Morrison, Murphy, Donaghy, Larmour, Leek, O’Neill, Graham, Cathal, Duffin


Cookstown welcomed league leaders Dromore to Fairhill on Saturday.

Cookstown started brightly and had the majority of possession throughout the opening twenty minutes. After this Dromore started to come into the game a took the lead just before half time.

Cookstown continued to press to score an equaliser but where hit several times on the counter attack. Cookstown continued to play football and had several chances to score but could not capitalise, they eventually got the break through with a J. McElkennon strike before B. Tereso scored shortly afterwards.

Cookstown: E. Donnelly, D. Banas, C. Robb, J. McElkennon, S. Connelly, P. Monaghan, E. O’Neill, J. Donnelly, D. O’Neill, S. Coleman, A. Traill, D. Devlin, B. Tereso


With several players missing due to a variety of reasons, manager Gerry Quinn delved deep into his 20 man squad to face Rangers in a National League fixture.

Both teams created opportunities from the off with Rangers taking the lead after a massive deflected shot wrong footed Moore in goal after 10 minutes.

Speirs and Donaghy both went close from range and a headed effort with Moore having to be sharp on three occasions just before half time.

Into the second half Cookstown created some great efforts with Gabrysiak clipping the cross bar with a hooked effort on 40 minutes.

Donaghy went close from two long range efforts before the Fermanagh boys failed to execute with the goal at their mercy. Substitute Kyle Cahoon calmly slotted home his first of the season on the hour mark after a great through ball from Patterson.

Cahoon went close again right at the death but a draw was probably about right at the end.

This weekend Cookstown have Crusaders in the quarter final of the NI Cup at home. All support welcome.


The game was scrappy at times and Cookstown drew first blood with Jack Turkington`s cross turned in by the unlucky defender.

Martin McCracken made a great run but was harshly flagged for off side and then Strathroy equalised as Cookstown were caught napping with a long ball.

Kaelum Irvine shot narrowly wide but then Strathroy went ahead as another long ball wasn`t dealt with at the back. Ryan McFarland made a good burst off the left flank and coolly dinked the keeper.

Cookstown were all over the place at the start of the second half and it was little surprise when they again went 3-2 behind.

Cookstown stepped up their efforts in the last 20 minutes and started by crafting a fine goal as Nathan Connolly cleverly evaded his marker and he fired over a cross and Adam Scott finished it off.

Moments later they went ahead with Tyler Anderson’s deep cross headed in by Sam Hardy. Another dangerous cross resulted in another own goal and at last Cookstown were starting to show their class. Tyler Anderson wrapped it up as he fired a long range effort over the despairing keeper.

Cookstown: Adam Scott, Jack Turkington, Tyler Anderson, Matthew Scott, Brendan Davey, Martin McCracken, Nathan Connolly, Jamie Campbell, Ryan Murphy, Philip Laverty, Jake Crooks, Erik Banas, Kaelum Irvine, Ryan McFarland , Afonso Tereso, Sam Hardy


Cookstown Youth Football Club are holding a Table Quiz on Saturday 19th March in The Royal Hotel Cookstown, kick-off is at 8.30pm.

Test your knowledge and at the same time enjoy a great nights fun which in turn will help CYFC continue to serve the local community.

All teams will be made very welcome and each team are allowed six quizzers and the enterence fee is £5 each person.

We look forward to seeing you all on the 19th March .


CYFC Development Centre continues this Friday 11th March 2016 at The Mid Ulster Sports Arena.

Player numbers are still unbelievably high and unfortunately the waiting list is still in place, however we look forward to seeing another good crowd this week again.