Cookstown Youth U15 see off Armagh


Wednesday, 1st May 2013, 9:54 am

In their final league game for the Cookstown u11 side, after winning the shield the week before, found it tough against a physical Loughall side .

On a small pitch at Castlecaufield 3g, the Cookstown lads found there normally fluent passing was tougher and Loughall took the 2 goal lead at halftime.

The second half saw Cookstown dominate the half and it was Stewart Wylie whose persistence saw him round two players and shoot into corner and make it 2-1.

With only five minutes to go, there was a contreversial decision on the edge of the box for Loughall to hit a free kick making it 3-1 at fulltime .


In their penultimate match the previous Monday, Cookstown Youth raced into a 4-1 lead against Lurgan thanks to a Jamie Marlin hat trick and a headed goal from Tiernan Mackle with twenty minutes left. Lurgan fought back aided by a strong wind but the young sizzlers bravely hung on to win the game 4-3.

In their final game of the season last Saturday, Cookstown faced possible league champions Hillsborough Boys at Glenmore in Lisburn in what turned out to be a pulsating game filled with drama, determination and commitment. From the off Cookstown went for the jugular with Lee Glasgow testing the Hillsborough keeper after two minutes.

Full back Bobbie Patterson powerfully shot from distance only for the Hillsborough keeper to pull off another fine save. Jamie Marlin saw one free kick fall just wide of the target and his next plucked out of the air by Hillsborough’s fantastic keeper who was having a storming game.

The keeper then thwarted both Marlin and Joseph Donnelly from two good chances before Hillsborough drove just over the Cookstown crossbar.

Five minutes from half time Hillsborough’s lanky striker broke clear and calmly slotted the ball between the legs of the advancing Jamie Campbell to take an unlikely lead. Into the second half Marlin shot just wide of the left hand post with the Hillsborough keeper all at sea.

Shane Murphy then saw a free kick just land wide of the right hand post before Jamie Campbell made a succession of brave saves as Hillsborough tried to put the game to bed. On 35 minutes Luke Patterson out sprinted his marker and drove an unbelievable shot into the top corner of the Hillsborough net from twenty yards to send the Cookstown support into a frenzy.

Hillsborough then hit the post and Campbell pulled off another fine save before Hillsborough scored an undeserved headed winner in the dying minutes of the game. What a game with Hillsborough needing to win their last two fixtures to pip Loughgall as champions. A big thanks from the management team goes out to the boys who have progressed well since Christmas, despite the weekly travel to Lisburn and several early kick offs. Also a big thanks goes out to the parents who have supported the players and managers through thick and thin, and also the staff at MUSA and Cookstown Community Rural Transport.

Next up is the Ayr 7 aside Tournament the May Bank Holiday weekend.

TEAM: J. Campbell, B. Patterson, R. McLean, W. Kenning, D. Bigger, L. Patterson, T. Mackle, S. Murphy, L. Glasgow, J. Marlin, J. Donnelly, C. Bigger, K. Gault, H. Wilson, R. Mullan.


In their penultimate league game last Friday night with Armagh their opponents at MUSA.

This was a game where the coaching team had their work cut out for them following the disappointment for a number of players in relation to the milk Cup trials but credit to the lads who came out with a fighting spirit to be proud off.

Cookstown were fired up for this game and controlled the game from start to finish.

Josh McAdoo fired Cookstown into the lead in the first 5 minutes with a low drive into the corner. Within a few minutes McAdoo saw the keeper off his line and rattled the crossbar from 30 yards with the keeper collecting the ball from that. Deane Kane then sent a defence splitting pass through to Nathan O’Neill who saw his cross narrowly missed by Gary Adams

O’Neill then had a run down the left which ended with him drilling the ball into the far side of the net to put Cookstown 2 up.

At this stage the Cookstown midfield of James Larmour and Kane were running the show, with O’Neill and Fergal Devlin providing the width. A corner saw O’Neill control the ball with Adams firing home to leave the score 3-0 at half time.

A half time chat was just full of praise, probably the best 35 minutes of football of the season.

The second half saw Armagh come strong meaning that the defence of Kyle Parkinson, Luke Johnston, Joshua Adams and James Donnelly had to be on their toes. Keeper Brian Kennedy was even called into action a few times but dealt with anything thrown at him. Larmour had to be replace due to injury with Ryan Campbell coming on. But it was soon back to business with a fantastic solo run from Campbell resulting in a goal. O’Neill then had a run from his own half to add a fifth. An injury to McAdoo saw Aaron McCulla come on and Matthew Kelly replacing Johnston to play their part.

A great performance from Kane deserved a goal but his effort towards the end was blocked only to see Campbell fire home for his second. This left the final score 6-0.

Managers Hunter and McKenzie were very impressed. Stevie Star said that it was a great performance from all the players and that he was very happy with their performance.

McKenzie added that it was a fantastic performance and great to see the disappointment for some of the players last week didn’t let their heads drop and they were a credit to the club.

As for a man of the match Hunter, McKenzie and Magarry couldn’t single anyone out for the praise bar the whole team.

Last league game of the season is on Monday night away to Ballymoney.


Cookstown took the field at Tobermore to play out a league cup quarter final in what would prove to be their last match of the season.

Cookstown took the game to their opponents from the start and within 5 minutes a good more down the left wing involving J Harte and M Megarry set up A Murphy but the Limavady defence cleared the danger.

Minutes later a quick throw by J Glasgow found M Megarry in the box who turned his defender and the Limavady keeper saved his snap shot right on the line. A minute later J Glasgow and M Megarry combined to set up J Harte who had time and space but he took his shot just too quickly and the keeper saved.

It was all Cookstown at this stage but the ball simply wouldn’t go into the net. With 20 minutes gone limavady found their feet and forced a couple of corners but P Stewart and A Bell cleared the danger on each occasion.

Cookstown countered and put together the best move of the match. Goalie C Reynolds took a quick throw out to left back M Corrigan who fed L Johnston on the left wing who picked out M Megarry who in turn passed a lovely ball inside the box to A Murphy, who turned his defender only to see his shot come off that post and go wide.

This pattern of play continued deep into the first half with A Murphy and C McGovern all having shots blocked by either the keeper or a desperate Limavady defence. Cookstown who needed to win the game by 3 goals were desperate to open the scoring but half time arrived with teams level at nil nil.

The second half got under way with Cookstown hoping for better luck but the first 5 minutes were scrappy with neither team’s creating any clear cut chances.

However, with 7 minutes gone, some slack defending allowed limavady to open the scoring and Cookstown had a mountain to climb.

They applied themselves manfully to the task and P Stewart saw a great shot blocked again by a Limavady defender.

Several corners were forced by Cookstown and from one of these C McGovern floated in a great ball and M Megarry out jumped everyone to head home the equaliser. S McMath, P Stewart and C McGovern then put together a great move which ended with M Megarry heading wide of the post.

A minute later against the run of play coupled with a terrible refereeing decision Limavady made it 2 – 1. With 12 minutes to go it was 3 – 1 to Limavady and the game was effectively over.

Cookstown brought on all their subs at this stage with W Tavares, G McElhone, W McCullagh and D O’Neill all with a point to prove. To their credit Cookstown kept plugging away and with 4 minutes to go C McGovern floated another lovely corner in, a goal mouth scramble ensued and D O’Neill rifled home a shot from all of 3 yards to make the score 3 – 2.

The joy was short lived however as Limavdy scored in the last minute to leave the final score 4 – 2. MOM A. Bell

This was a disappointing end to what had been a very good season throughout.

A NI Cup semi final spot and a top 4 finish in the national league doesn’t begin to tell the story of how well this team performed all season long.

The management trip of T Megarry, I Donaghy and G McCaw were full of praise for the lads and would also like to extend a big thank you to all the parents for their support throughout the year, not forgetting the refreshment panel of Phillip, Barbara and Louise. Coach Iain Donaghy received a nice round of applause from the players in the changing room after the match when he announced he was hanging up his boots from first team coaching.

Finally, would all players and parents please make note that the awards dinner is on the 31st May and it would be nice to see a full turn out from the under 16’s.


Tradionally Cookstown Youth Football Club hold their End of Season on the first Saturday in June. But due to circumstances beyond the Clubs control , the dinner will be held on Friday May 31, in the Glenavon Hotel in Cookstown.

There will be no Development Centre this coming Friday , due to a Club trip to Ayr and also the Golf Fundraiser at Killymoon GC.

Cookstown Youth FC would also like to appeal to any would be Coaches out there to come along and help out at the Areas number 1 Development Centre , and help secure the future of football for years to come.

Feel free to contact the CYFC mobile on 07771195393, or alternatively Public Relations Officer Andy Kelly on 07872901473

CYFC will be holding its popular Golf Day this Friday 3at Killymoon Golf Club. This is always a great days craic so why not gather up a team of four players regardless of golfing ability and join in the fun. £100 a team will get you a round of golf on a first class course and also a meal afterwards. For Tee times contact Rodney on 867 62574 or 07746 576969.