Corner hit back to leave Killymoon still seeking first league win

Chimney Corner 2,

Killymoon Rangers 1

KILLYMOON Rangers are still looking for their first win of the season after going down 2-1 away to Paddy Kelly’s new look Chimney Corner in Antrim on Saturday.

Roger Greer had a shot blocked in the opening minute of the match for Killymoon but Chimney Corner were then awarded a penalty in the third minute. Gareth McElhatton won the battle of the keepers, saving the spot kick from opposite number Stephen Harbinson.

Roger Greer tried his luck again, and had another shot blocked while Davy Mc Mullan, playing up front, flicked the ball on for strike partner Roma, who was unable to finish.

On 20 minutes a free kick from Barrie Kelly was headed wide by an unmarked Stephen Purvis.

Barrie Kelly then had a good run at the Corner defence before being crowded out.

Mark McCullagh had a free kick from the edge of the semi circle saved by Gareth McElhatton.

Roger Greer had a good run down the left for Killymoon before crossingfor Davy Mac in the box, who was crowded out and Corner cleared the danger.

Killymoon took the lead in the 33rd minute, Barrie Kelly’s corner headed in by Davy McMullan.

Killymoon where then forced to make a change as Roger Greer limped off, and on came Simon Kerr.

Corner then had three successive corners before Killymoon finally managed to clear their lines.

From a Declan Campbell free kick, Davy Mac won the header and flicked the ball on to Roma, who was unable to finish.

Johnny Young then had a run down the left, his cross was gathered by Harbinson, with Roma lurking, looking to finish.

Killymoon should have made it 2-0 just before half-time, Davy Mac won a header and flicked the ball on for Mark Loughran, who shot, S Harbinson managed to get enough on the ball to keep it out.

On the blow at half time Roma had a header saved on the line from a Barrie Kelly cross.

Killymoon’s first effort of note in the second half was a shot from Barrie Kelly, going over the bar after cutting in from the right and shooting.

Chimney Corner then took the game to Killymoon in the second half, having the majority of the play, without creating any clear cut chances.

On 77 minutes Corner equalized, J Willinghan went on a good run before scoring from the edge of the box.

Killymoon then responded in a positive manner, and went in search of a winner themselves.

Killymoon had a corner cleared only as far as Johnny Young, who saw his shot go over the bar.

Barrie Kelly the had a header saved from a Simon Kerr cross.

With five minutes left on the clock, Corner won the match with a wonder goal. Full back Sean Hanna, looked up on the half way line, spotted Gareth off his line, and launched a mighty up and under, which unfortunately for Killymoon ended up in the back of the net.

In the dying minutes of the match Killymoon had appeals for a penalty waved away after Simon Kerr went down in the box, and Chimney Corner saw the match out.

This Saturday Killymoon Rangers are at home to Banbridge town, kick-off at the Sports Arena Cookstown is 3pm.

Killymoon Rangers 2nds were beaten 9-0 at home on Saturday in the Crawford Cup by Intermediate League team, Ballynure Old Boys.

Killymoon held their own for an hour before the floodgates opened.

Killymoon Rangers 2nds begin their defence of the Linda Welshman Cup on Saturday with an away tie at Ballysillan Swifts.

Killymoon Rangers are holding their annual waxing night this Saturday October 20th in the Royal Hotel at 8pm.

Why not come along, support a worthy cause, and see a few hairless men!