Early penalty seals vital away win for Coagh

Dundela 3 - Coagh United 4

THIS match had everything, goals, penalties, bookings, near misses and a lot of frustration and excitement for all involved both on and off the pitch.

It started with an eight-second penalty. Coagh kicked off and Stephen Lamont ran through the home defence and was fouled, Referee Ken Gibbions pointed straight for a penalty.

Stephen Lamont stepped up to blast the ball into the net for the opener. What a start for the visitors and a minute later they were two up. Lamont ran clear again and was fouled in the box for the second time. This time Stephen Gourley was booked for his trouble.

Lamont stepped up to the plate again but Jonathan Sergeant in the home goal guessed right, pushing the ball away but only into the path of Coagh’s Steven Park who blasted the ball into the net for Coagh’s second. Shell shocked Dundela quickly regrouped and came close when Stephen Gourley headed just over from Gary Irwin free kick on six minutes.

On nine minutes Coagh gifted the home side with a life line. Coagh were caught on the break and with their back line at sixes and sevens Gary Irwin crept in unmarked to score. The home keeper was soon back in action as he tipped over from James Ferguson and from the resulting corner from Stephen Lamont the same player’s bicycle kick just skimmed the upright.

As the match moved from end to end, Coagh again gifted the home side with the equalizer. After messing about at the back Johnny Yorke was left to save twice, the first from Irwin, but his shot rebounded off Chris Sheridan and trickled over the goal line. This gave the home side hope and they bombarded the Coagh defence. Johnny Yorke and his defence were working overtime to keep the scores level.

Finally Coagh got back on track, a long ball out of the Coagh back line caught Dundela out and Colin Donaldson rounded the keeper to score. 3-2. From the restart Dundela came storming back with Johnny Yorke saving from Ben Roy to keep his side in front but on forty four minutes the Coagh stopper could do nothing to stop Ben Roy after he ran clear on goal from the half way line to level the scores before the break.

The large crowd was again entertained in the second half with end to end football. The home side were first to come close, Coagh’s Aaron Thornton was caught in possession with Irwin just shooting wide after running clear.

The good football got scrappy for a while but as the match progressed the home side looked more and more likely to score after forcing their fourth corner in as many minutes. Coagh were first to make movement off the bench. Colin Donaldson made way for Ally Young and the Coagh forward headed off the cross bar moments later.

Dundela took off Ben Roy for David Wright as the Duns made a push for the winner. In a final throw of the dice Coagh replaced Aaron Campbell with Jason Gillespie and James Ferguson for Mark Scott. The new look Coagh forward line soon had Coagh back on track. Steven Park slipped the ball into Stephen Lamont’s path with the forward blasting into the net from a tight angle for Coagh’s fourth. In the final five minutes it was game on as Coagh rode their luck but they came away with a valuable three points to keep them in touch with the top of the table.

Next Saturday 10th September Coagh travel to Loughgall for the first round of the Bob Radcliffe Cup. Kick off at Lakeview Park is 2-30pm. Coagh Swifts v Newry Res this Saturday has now been postponed.

Dundela; Jonathan Sergeant, Scott Collins, David Murphy, Aaron Roberson(Ryan Cardwell 38m), Willie Faulkner, Stephen Gourley, Gary Irwin, Stephen McCain, Ben Roy (David Wright78m). Chris Sheridan, Graham Aston. Subs Darren Fox GK

Coagh; Jonathan Yorke, Scott McGeown, Aaron Thornton, David Calderwood, Barry Anderson, James Ferguson, (Ally Young) Marcus Dallas, Colin Donaldson,(Mark Scott) Aaron Campbell (Jason Gillespie) Steven Park,

Referee Mr K Gibbions Carrickfergus Mr C Budd Mr O’Brien (Lisburn)