Football: Coagh fall to students at Hagan Park

Coagh's John Henry breaks up a Queen's attack during Saturday's league clash at Hagan Park.INMM4414-362
Coagh's John Henry breaks up a Queen's attack during Saturday's league clash at Hagan Park.INMM4414-362

Coagh 1-4 Queens-

Queens made five changes to their line up after losing their last two home matches and these changes helped the students to give the home side a lesson in both scoring and defending.

Coagh also made defensive changes after losing a three goal lead to Banbridge last Saturday but they once again shipped four goals.

Both sides pressed for the opener early on, Queen’s Connor Mulholland and Ryan Murphy causing Coagh all sorts of problems.

Coagh attacked with the hard working Lee Smyth putting Campbell clear. It took two saves from Declan Brown to clear.

Coagh gave a start to local lad Dermot McGuckin and the number seven impressed with a thirty five yard shot which went in off the crossbar to give Coagh the lead.

Coagh continued to press forcing two more corners but could not make any impact.

William Hassan will be disappointed not to have held Kevin Hagan’s free kick which gave Mulholland an easy tap in after he reacted first.

Coagh struggled after this and were confined to long range shots as the visitors pressed them. Queens’s tactics and pressure paid off just before the break.

The home defence looked for the off side but Mulholland was too quick and ran clear to score his second. Both sides made changes due to injuries at the start of the second half.

Coagh brought on Hugo Baptista for Mathew Kempton while Mark Prenter and Paul McGuckin replaced Eoghan Byrne and Kevin Hagan.

Queens had an early shot by James Ferrin fly just wide of the post while Baptista’s goal bound header was deflected out for a corner at the other end.

The visitor’s defended the corner well and could have caught Coagh on the break but Sean Walsh shot skimmed the upright.

Coagh lost McGuckin on the 70 minutes with Aaron Thornton replacing the Coagh goalscorer.

Queens again took advantage of Coagh’s regrouping, Mulholland shot just wide and moments later Michael Allison curled the ball around Hassan through a packed Coagh defence.

Coagh’s day got worse when Campbell limped off, replaced by Andrew Kelso.

Kelso was unfortunate to see a later free kick fumbled out for a corner while Lee Smyth forced a rare save out of the Queen’s stopper.

The visitors rounded off an excellent performance when Mulholland ran clear through a weary Coagh defence to score.

Coagh United: William Hassan, Mark Taylor, Scott McGeown, Simon Logan, James Ferguson (c), John Henry, Dermot McGuckin (Aaron Thornton), Jonathan Young, Aaron Campbell (Andrew Kelso), Lee Smyth, Mathew Kempton (Hugo Baptista), Stephen Glasgow, Alex Cabral.

Queens: Declan Brown Daniel Colbert, Adam Robinson, James Ferrin, Jamie Mairs, Kevin Hagan (Paul McGuckin), Daniel Hanna, Eoghan Byrne (Mark Prenter), Connor Mulholland, Michael Allison, Ryan Murphy (Stephen McDowell), Sean Walsh.

Referee: David Moore (Omagh), Assistants: Stephen Bell (Carrick), Ken Ross (Glengormley).

Match Sponsor: Forbes Group (Ardboe).