Football: Killymoon narrowly lose out against Glebe Rangers

HOLDS OFF... Killymoon's Andy Neill holds off a Tobermore Utd forward during their league clash at Fortwilliam Park.INMM4713-356SR
HOLDS OFF... Killymoon's Andy Neill holds off a Tobermore Utd forward during their league clash at Fortwilliam Park.INMM4713-356SR

Glebe Rangers 1 Killymoon Rangers 0

Glebe Rangers made it three wins on the trot with this narrow home victory over basement boys Killymoon Rangers on Saturday afternoon and the three points saw them move into the top half of the table for the first time this season.

With influential midfielder Peter Kennoway absent through suspension, the only change saw DavidMcVicker make what turned out to be a short-lived return to the starting line-up.

In difficult conditions, which occasionally bordered on the atrocious, Glebe were the first to threaten when a 7th minute free-kick from Marks evaded everyone except Shepherd. However the central defender was unable to turn the ball goal-wards and the opportunity passed. Visiting defender Andy Neill came to his team’s rescue shortly afterwards when he produced a timely interception to cut out Adam Mcvicker’s cross.

The breakthrough arrived after 25 minutes when a cross from Jackie Morrison was forced against the post by Henry and the ball rebounded across the goal line where Ian Christie gleefully tucked it in. Glebe continued to press and a fine move involving Hume and Henry saw Chris Nicholl presented with an opportunity to double his side’s lead but the striker was denied by a point-blank save from Gary Stewart. As half-time approached the hosts suffered a blow when DavidMcVicker received a straight red card for an off the ball offence which was spotted by the linesman.

The visitors began the second period in determined fashion and Stephen McElhatton provided a couple of dangerous corners which failed to find a taker. Stung into action, Nicholl’s effort from a Marks free-kick was blocked but, when the ball broke to Christie, the goal hero of the first half blazed wide past the far post. Despite the conditions favouring them Killymoon were failing to trouble Kane and only a great save from Stewart prevented Henry’s header from McVicker’s fine cross finding the net.

Ryan Marks, continuing his recent superb form, released dangermanHenry in the 71st minute and again the striker was denied by the impressive Stewart. As the minutes ticked byKillymoon at last began to threaten and sub Gareth McCaw headed wide from another McElhatton corner before an almighty scramble in the home penalty area eventually saw Shepherd clear the danger without the visitors being able to test Kane.

With time running out Adam McVicker found gaps in the Killymoon rear-guard but was unable to take advantage on either occasion as was sub Ryan Gurney who curled over after good work from Henry. And in time-honoured fashion this failure to put the game to bed almost came back to haunt Glebe but Neill’s last minute lob was just too high and with it went the Cookstown men’s hopes of snatching a point.

Glebe Rangers: Kane, Morrison (J), Hume, Sheppard, Dobbin, McVicker (D), Marks, Christie, Nicholl, McVicker (A) Henry,

Subs: Morrison (W), Gurney, White, McIlveen,

Killymoon Rangers: Stewart, Scott, Ferry, Neill, Mann, Hunter, Young, McElhatton, Donaghy, Brownlee, Coyle.

Subs: Ferry, McGaw, Dunn, Colis

Killymoon Rangers will be hosting a general knowledge quiz at the Royal Hotel, Cookstown on Saturday 8th Feburary. Prices are £5 each with a maximum if members per team. Everybody welcome