Football: Killymoon peg back Magherafelt Sky Blues

Killymoon Rangers and Magherafelt Sky Blues tussle for the ball during Saturday's derby clash at MUSA.INMM4914-374
Killymoon Rangers and Magherafelt Sky Blues tussle for the ball during Saturday's derby clash at MUSA.INMM4914-374

Magherafelt Sky Blues 3

Killymoon Rangers 3

Killymoon Rangers made the trip to Magherafelt, to take on local rivals Sky Blues leaving with a point in an entertaining match.

Sky Blues took the lead in the second minute, Killymoon failed to clear a corner, and Ciaran Monaghan found space in the box to blast the ball past Gareth McElhatton.

Killymoon got a deserved equaliser on 18 minutes, Stuarty Donaghy geting on the end of a Drew Kelly pass and beating the keeper with a low drive.

Killymoon had a let off when a mistake in defence presented Sky Blues centre forward with a good chance which he put wide.

Sky Blues went back in front on 33 minutes, following a bad mistake in the Killymoon defence. Two defenders went for the same ball, missed and the ball fell kindly to Stephen O’Neill who made no mistake.

Stuart Donaghy set up Geoff Booth who scored after the referee had blown for offside.

A Dylan McElhatton overhead kick fell to Donaghy whose goalbound shot was saved at the expense of a corner.

Mark Montague went down in the box, but the referee waved play on, and just before the half time whistle, Killymoon played a corner short to James Leslie, who hit the shot high and wide.

Killymoon started the second half where they left off the first, Dylan McElhatton’s cross was cleared off the line with Stuary Donaghy lurking, and Drew Kelly had another shot saved on the line by the keeper.

Geoff Booth was next to try his luck, the keeper kicking his shot of the line.

On 58 minutes Killymoon brought on Shea O’Neill to replace Donaghy up front. Killymoon conceded a free kick which Gareth McElhatton saved.

Killymoon almost equalised on 69 minutes when a Shea O’Neill thunder bolt came back of the bar, and on 72 minutes the equaliser finally came, Dylan McElhatton getting on the end of a Roger Greer pass to slot home.

The Sky Blues then broke the Killymoon offside trap and Gareth McElhatton rescued Killymoon with a great save.

A minute later and Sky Blues went in front again, Gareth McElhatton saved a free kick the ball ran loose and Ciaran Monagan tapped home from close range.

The lead was short lived however as Shea O’Neill won a penalty for Killymoon. Gerard Moore equalised in the 79th minute, the game’s final goal.

Saturday 21st March: Killymoon Rangers v Brantwood, 2pm. Mid Ulster Sports Arena.