Football: Killymoon Rangers pay price for not taking chances

Killymoon Rangers on the break
Killymoon Rangers on the break

Ballysillan Swifts 3-1 Killymoon Rangers-

Killymoon Rangers paid a heavy price for not taking their chances on Saturday, going down 3-1 away to Ballysillan Swifts in Belfast.

Killymoon started the match on the front foot taking the game to Ballysillan and had a half chance in the second minute, a Declan Campbell free kick was missed by Roger Greer and James Dunn in the box, both unable to get the final touch.

Michael Brown, returning in goals, was called on to make a simple catch on 10 minutes while Gareth McGaw had a 40 yard shot go just wide off the post.

Greer was fouled outside the box but James Dunn’s free kick was saved at the expense of a corner. From this the Ballysillan keeper cleared the ball off the line and in the 20th minute Ballysillan took the lead.

A free kick from beside the corner flag saw Ballysillan score with a header, the scorer unmarked in the box.

Killymoon were unsettled and Ballysillan missed two half chances, before Killymoon regained their composure.

Killymoon should have got back on level terms on 30 minutes, James Dunn broke the offside trap his cross was met by Stuart Donaghy who failed to finish first time, and the chance went begging.

Ballysillan hit back with two corners before going 2-0 ahead in the 36th minute.

Lee Hunter had a good chance to reduce the lead four minutes later, a good ball from Stuart Donaghy put him in on goal, his goal bound shot was superbly turn round the post for a corner.

Lee then had two further chances in the final five minutes off the half, first a header was saved from a Gareth McGaw free kick, and then Lee shot wide while in a goal scoring position.

Killymoon made two changes at half time, Donald and Millar coming on for Donaghy and Taylor. The changes almost had an immediate effect, James Dunn put Michael Donald through on goal, only to shoot straight at the keeper.

Killymoon were playing well, and Roger Greer won a corner down the left, James Leslie’s header was cleared off the line and James Dunn’s follow up shot went wide.

Killymoon were pushing forward to get back into the game, but were looking vulnerable to being caught out at the back.

Michael Donald had a shot over from the edge off the box on 64 minutes, and James Leslie had a header wide at the back post from a Jason Ferry free kick.

Good work by Michael Donald in the box set up Declan Campbell who had a point blank shot saved by the keeper on the line. Killymoon got back into the game with a goal on 70 minutes.

Route one from Michael Brown, and Donald got on the end of the goal kick and beat the defender and slotted the ball home to score on his debut.

Killymoon had a let off before Ballysillan scored a third goal on 82 minutes. Killymoon created a few half chances in the dying minutes but were unable to reduce the deficit.