Football: Killymoon Rangers see off Chimney Corner

Killymoon Rangers on the break during Saturday's Irish Cup clash with Newtowne at Beechway.INMM3514-368
Killymoon Rangers on the break during Saturday's Irish Cup clash with Newtowne at Beechway.INMM3514-368

Killymoon Rangers took the lead in the opening minute of their match with Chimney Corner.

Declan Campbell took a free kick just inside the Chimney Corner half, Davy McMullan rose at the back post and scored with a header.

Chimney Corner’s first effort of note was a run and shot that went over the bar in the 9th minute.

Drew Kelly forced the keeper to come to Chimney Corners rescue with a rasping shot from 30 yards, which the keeper did well to hold.

Davy McMullan cleared the danger when Chimney Corner threatened. Shea O’Neill then forced the Chimney Corner into another save, under pressure from the defenders in the box, Shea managed to get a shot on target, and the keeper done well to turn it round the post for a corner.

Killymoon went 2-0 up in the 25th minute, Davy McMullan’s throw was flicked on at the front post, and Mark Montague stooped low to head in from point blank range.

Drew Kelly had another shot saved before Killymoon added a third on 29 minutes. The goal keeper dropped the ball Shea O’Neill pounced, and scored from a tight angle.

Killymoon were unlucky to concede a penalty on 33 minutes, Garth McElhatton saved the penalty from J Willigham, who followed up to scored from the rebound.

Chimney Corner had a chance in the opening minute of the second half which they did not take. Declan Campbell then should have scored for Killymoon.

A Killymoon free kick was floated into the box, Declan Campbell at the back post had a free header, but his downward header bounced over the bar.

Shea O’Neill had a header go the wrong side of the post from a Roger Greer cross, and Mark Montaque curled a shot wide.

Chimney Corner made it 3-2 on 50 minutes, scoring from a direct kick on the edge of the box. Killymoon had shouts for a penalty when Shea O Neill went down in the box but the referee waved play on.

Minutes later Mark Montague released Shea O Neill, who rounded the goal keeper, and before he could score the defender got back to make a goal line clearance.

Killymoon had a let off when Chimney Corner striker headed over from close 
range. Cameron Stewart pulled a muscle, and had to stay on the pitch as Killymoon had already used their substitutes.

Davy McMullan moved back to centre half and Cameron moved to centre forward. Drew Kelly had a shot saved by the keeper again, and Drew hit another free kick wide.

Killymoon made the game safe on 76 minutes when Cameron Stewart got on the end of a cross from Warren Smith and scored from close range.