Football: On fire Moyola Park hit Glebe Rangers for five

Players anxious as a corner is taken.INBM47-13 204JC
Players anxious as a corner is taken.INBM47-13 204JC

Moyola Park scored five goals for the second week to climb to ninth place in the NIFL Belfast Telegraph Championship Two league table.

Playing against a strong wind on a bumpy pitch Moyola withstood early pressure from a tenacious Glebe side keen to take advantage of the weather conditions.

Peter Kennoway had the first goal scoring opportunity of the game but failed to find the target following Adam McVicker’s free kick.

Despite the early endeavours of the home side the Moyola Park back four held firm and it was the visitors who took the lead when Chris Dowie scored after 20 minutes, taking advantage of a through ball from Maguire to slot the ball past Glebe ‘keeper Brian Kane.

The hosts reacted quickly and Aaron Wilkinson thought he had equalised 6 minutes later but the assistant referee had already signalled an offside decision.

Ian Christie provided some spark for Glebe as the half time whistle beckoned when he cut in from the right and drove the ball against an upright with the retreating Waddell diverting the rebound past Marty Farniok to leave the sides level at half time.

Mervyn Pattison’s team talk sent Moyola Park out with guns blazing for the second half and David Paul gave the visitors the lead in the opening minutes with a great finish from the edge of the penalty area.

For a second time the hosts equalised when, to the amazement of both sets of players, a linesman spotted a Moyola player handling the ball in the penalty area and Thomas Elder stepped up to send the spot kick past Farniok.

This brought an outstanding response from the visitors and in minutes a Michael Walsh pass put Darren Walls through on the left and he calmly rounded Kane and tapped the ball into an empty net.

The visitors now were in control of the game and added to their lead when a Walls’ corner kick, aided by the strong wind, sailed directly into the Glebe net past a helpless Kane.

With a two goal advantage established Mervyn Pattison made two substitutions in the 78th minute, Maurice Curtis replacing Walls and Steven Kelly replacing Paul.

With 8 minutes remaining, the influential Dowie put the game beyond Glebe, with an excellent finish from 18 yards.

There were only a few seconds remaining on the clock when Glebe snatched a third goal scored from Wilkinson but it wasn’t enough to prevent Moyola Park scoring a first away victory against the Ballymoney side.

This was an excellent all round team performance with the energy of Eugene Gallagher and Walsh in midfield a major factor in this key victory.

Glebe Rangers: B Kane, J Morrison, J Hume, A Sheppard, C Nicholl, I Christie, R Marks, P Kennoway, A Wilkinson, A McVicker, G Henry. Subs: T Elder, W Morrison, D White

Moyola Park: M Farniok, D Maguire, G Stewart, S McQuillan, M Waddell, M Walsh, S McConnell, E Gallagher, C Dowie, D Paul (S Kelly), D Walls (M Curtis). Unused sub: M Pattison

Next up for Moyola Park is a visit to Seaview for a league fixture against Newington on Saturday at 3pm.

There is no game for Moyola Park on Saturday 23rd November as the club received a bye in Round Two of the IFA Intermediate Cup, but Wakehurst host Lurgan Celtic at Mill Meadow in the NIFL Belfast Telegraph Championship Two on that date at 3.00pm