Football: Seven goal Sky Blues give Magherafelt great victory

Magherafelt Sky Blues U15 player, Sebastian Leyden, who scored in the 3-1 win over Banbridge Rovers
Magherafelt Sky Blues U15 player, Sebastian Leyden, who scored in the 3-1 win over Banbridge Rovers

Sky Blues U15s 7 Markethill Swifts 0

The young blues travelled to the Mid-Ulster Sports Arena for another league game at home against Markethill Swifts.

The game began with both teams battling for possession of the ball.

The Swifts centre forward got to the ball first a hit the ball over our keeper which was going into the net, only for the quick thinking of Paul Pijl who cleared the ball off the line the young blues would have been 1-0 down.

After the first 15 minutes the young blues made a break through when Ciaran McKeever played a lovely pass through to Shea Donnelly who running onto it struck a beautiful shot into the roof on the net.

The young blues got into their stride and were dominant in possession all over the pitch.

Donnelly received another pass through from midfield and had another shoot on goal which was saved by the keeper and Stephen Greer was there with Shea to put the ball into the roof of the net.

The third goal came from another pass from Ciaran McKeever to Simon McErlain who made no mistake with this one and hit a beauty into the net.

In the second half the Sky Blues extended their lead. The first came from a well-deserved corner kick which fell for Sebastian. His shot was blocked but the the ball fell to Anton Tohill who was at the back post to put the ball into the net.

The fifth goal came from quick thinking and vision from Shea who played Ciaran through and he chipped the goalkeeper for a superb goal.

The sixth came from Kealan McCann who received the ball about 20 yards out, took control ok the ball and struck an outstanding shot into the top corner.

Supersub Ryan Kearns came onto replace Greer upfront and got his opportunity with a through ball from midfield sliding the ball under the keeper into the centre of the net. This led to the celebration of the season. This was an outstanding game and a joy to watch today.

Sky Blues U12s 0 Limavady 0

The Sky Blues U12s opened their Premier League campaign against Limavady in what was a tense and bruising draw.

In the opening 15 minutes it was obvious the Blues were coming off a three week break and it took them time to settle.

This saw the Blues having to concentrate on the defensive aspect of their game and it was man-of-the-match Shea McGuckin who ensured that the Blues goal was not breached.

On this evidence Shea McGuckin must be regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in this league.

However, once the opening storm was weathered the Sky Blues character shone through and the game became a closely fought affair.

Zach Ferson showed real grit and determination and began to exert a growing influence on the game. This had the effect of bringing both Darragh Wade and Jamie Gribben into the game.

The Sky Blues upped their performance in the second half. Jarlath McWilliams was a colossus at right back, Caolan Crozier and Jon McAllister formed a new look pairing in the centre of defence.

The Sky Blues pushed Limavady back and the Blues looked particularly dangerous on the break.

The strength of the squad was evident in the second half and the introduction of Conleth Mallon had a massive impact on the game.

Mallon’s performance was a mixture of hard work and talent. His cameo performance was almost rewarded with the winning goal when the Limavady goalkeeper made an almost catastrophic excursion from his box.

A Mallon shot was forced wide by the last ditch efforts of a Limavady defender.

Limavady must also be praised for their part in the game, they have a mix of physically strong and tricky players who combined to make a very exciting side.

Limavady could very easily have converted one of the several chances they created, but on reflection a draw was probably a fair result.

Sky Blues U12s 1 Northend Utd 1

It took seven minutes for the Sky Blues to have their first shot with Lewis Francis shooting over the bar.

Both defences were coming out on top and Sky Blues were limited to long range efforts. On 11 minutes Dan Higgins saw his shot go narrowly wide and Cathal Chambers hit the side netting a couple of minutes later.

The Sky Blues were looking the more likely to score but it was Northend who finally broke the deadlock. Northend were awarded a free kick 20 yards from goal and their centre half drove the ball into the Sky Blues net.

Moments later Callum Lagan raced off his line to save and stop Northend from going two up.

Sky Blues started to put some pressure on the Northend goal as Cathal Chambers had his shot saved, the rebound saved and Lee McMenemy then fired over the bar.

In the second half the Sky Blues had shots but fired over the bar on a number of occasions. Magherafelt finally got the equalizer they deserved on 44 minutes.

Some quick passing from Chambers and Higgins set Michael McKay through to slip the ball past the Northend keeper.

Despite some late pressure the Sky Blues couldn’t get the winning goal.