Football: Ten man Killymoon knocked out of Irish Cup

Killymoon Rangers on the break during Saturday's Irish Cup clash with Newtowne at Beechway.INMM3514-368
Killymoon Rangers on the break during Saturday's Irish Cup clash with Newtowne at Beechway.INMM3514-368

Killymoon Rangers 2 Newtowne 5-

A bumper crowd at Beechway witness a thrilling Irish Cup first round encounter between two evenly matched teams but it was the Limavady side who ran out victors after extra time

Killymoon started the game brighter but a number of early attacks came to nothing. It took the visitors a while to get going and an effort from their midfielder was all they had to show for in the early exchanges.

A Newtowne corner almost resulted in a goal but the big centre half over the bar an effort that he will have been disappointed with.

Indeed the visitors would control the game for several minutes but the men in blue held firm to prevent a goal. In fact only last ditch defending from full back Campbell denied Newtowne a goal.

Campbell nearly gifted Newtowne a goal when he took his eye of the ball for a brief moment but Chesney was on hand to clear the danger.

After good hard work down the left from Donaghy he found Smith on the edge of the box. His volley was on target but the keeper was on hand to clear the danger.

Killymoon goalkeeper Stewart had to be on hand to tip an effort from the Newtowne striker wide.

Leslie moved to centre back when Chesney was forced off with a back injury. He was again on hand to clear away a Newtowne corner.

Killymoon took the lead right at the start of the second half. Moon won the ball in the Newtowne half and McGaw unleashed an effort into the top corner giving the keeper absoulely no chance.

Stewart made a number of good saves but could do nothing about the Newtowne equaliser.

A cross from the right saw McIvor try to flick it on for a team mate but the ball looped over the helpless Stewart.

Killymoon went on the attack again and McGaw tried his luck again from a free kick but the keeper was on hand this time to save.

Rea had the ball in the black of the net but was correctly ruled offside by the referee before Killymoon won a penalty. Carson showed great skill to get into the box and went down although at a glance the penalty did seem soft.

Dunn stepped up and saw his penalty beaten away by the keeper before the turning point of the game.

Newtown went straight up the other end and won a penalty when Stewart brought down the striker on the left hand side of the box.

Stewart was booked and continued to protest the penalty with resulted in a quick second yellow and his dismissal. McGaw stepped into the goalkeeping post but could do nothing about O’Reilly’s penalty.

The drama wasn’t over yet however as Carson broke the offside trap to slot home an equaliser in the last minute to ensure extra time.

Newtowne started extra time the brightest and a turn and shot from their striker sailed over the bar before a cross turned shot hit the side netting.

Dunn tried his luck from range with a free kick but the danger was seen away by the keeper. Great goalkeeping denied a goal when the Newtowne winger broke the offside trap.

From the resulting corner McGaw again showed great composure to deny a goal but McIvor eventually restored Newtowne’s lead with a simple tap in.

Donaghy had an effort go wide and Dunn’s free kick shortly after came to nothing before Newtown made the tie save. Picking received a quick thrown and saw his cross sail over the helpless McGaw in the Killymoon goal before full back O’Hare competed the scoring.

The scoreline flattered the victors but the character Killymoon showed will defiantly bold well for the season ahead.

Killymoon Rangers: Stewart, Campbell, Leslie, Chesney, McGaw, Moore (c), Donaghy, Hunter, Smith, Dunn, Greer. Subs: Carson, Rea, Taylor.