Great win for Rangers

Killymoon Rangers beat Sport + Leisure 4-2 at a rain swept Mid Ulster Sports Arena in Cookstown on Saturday, a Dicky Donaghy hat trick, and a goal from leading goal scorer, Roma securing all three points.

Killymoon without the injured quartet, Steven Mc Elhatton, Johnny Young, John Scott and Barrie Kelly, got off to a bright start, on 3 minutes, Andrew Neill took a free kick, and Roma saw hisd header come back off the post. James Daly had a half chance wide for S + L.

Jason Ferry then tried his luck with a shot that went wide.

Stephen Purvis then came to killymoon,s rescue clearing the danger, when S + L threatened. Killymoon hit the post for the second time in the 16 th minute, a Gerry Moore through ball put Marc Harkness in on goal, his shot came back off the post.

Sport + Leisure were playing into a strong wind in the 1st half, and Killymoon were looking to use the wind to their advantage. Dicky Donaghy headed a Gerry Moore free kick over the bar on 22 minutes. Stephen Purvis had a half chance from a Jason Ferry throw that went wide.

Roma then set up Jason Ferry for another shot, this one going just over the bar.

Killymoon finally took the lead on 27 minutes, Ryan Ferry took a quick free kick, fed Dicky Donaghy, who beat his man and scored with a shot from the edge of the box.

Davy Mc Mullan and Andrew Neill combined to clear the danger as S + L came forward in search of an equalizer. Stephen Purvis took a free kick from 30 yards out, J Nugent in goal for S + L, pushed the ball round the post for a corner.

John Donnan had a chance for S + L, a routine save for M Brown in the Killymoon goal.

Killymoon made it 2-0 in the 35th minute, Declan Campbell won the ball in midfield, and set up Roma, who scored with a shot from outside the box.

The home defence were alert to clear a free kick. Roma then set up his strike partner Dicky Donaghy, who shot wide with the keeper to beat. From a killymoon free kick,

Stephen Purvis attempted an over head kick, which went wide. On 45 minutes S + L had a chance from a right wing cross, which they failed to convert.

Thrree minutes later deep in stoppage time John Brady pulled a goal back from another right wing cross, the home team claimed the ball was out of play before the cross, the linesman kept his flag down, and the goal, the last kick of the half stood.

Roger Greer came on at half time for Marc Harkness. In the opening minutes of the half, S + L, had a goal ruled out for off side. Ryan Ferry had a shot saved by Nugent, who pushed the ball out, Dicky Donaghy hit the loose ball off the post, but was off-side.

On 49 minutes it was 3-1, Dicky Donaghy headed in Jason Ferry’s throw. Dicky went looking for his hat trick, and had a shot saved by Nugent, Roma following up, put the rebound wide. Roma then picked the ball up in his own half and went on a run before having a shot from 40 yards that went mighty close to making it 4-1.

Killymoon did make it 4-1 in the 59th minute. Michael Brown took a free kick, Roger Greer flicked it on, and Dicky Donaghy lobbed the goal keeper Nugent, to claim a hat trick, and the match ball.

Davy Mc Mullan cleared the danger on 64 minutes with a good header, to deny S + L. Sport + Leisure then brought on all three substitutes to try and get back into the game. Dicky Donaghy then had another shot narrowly wide on 69 minutes.

Killymoon’s Andrew Neill got a second yellow and a red card in the 70th minute, for speaking out of turn.

S + L then put the pressure on Killymoon in the final 20 minutes. M Brown saved a free kick from 30 yards out, that was on target. William Montgomery came on for Roma, and Killymoon had another chance, a Dicky Donaghy step over set up Jason Ferry ( who left his scoring boots at home ) for another shot, over the bar again.

Stephen Purvis cleared a corner and Michael Brown was in action twice to deny S + L. Dicky Donaghy had a another shot saved by the keeper, before coming off.

Sport + Leisure were caught off-side almost every time they came forward in the second half, and referee Stephen Wallace produced the yellow card on more than one occasion.

In the 86th minute Neal Corr finally broke the off-side trap to score, Killymoon held on to see the game out and win 4-2.

Killymoon; M Brown, A Neill, R Ferry, D Mc Mullan, S Purvis, J Ferry, M Harkness, G Moore, R Donaghy, Roma, D Campbell.