Improvement needed ahead of Irish Cup encounter

HEADS UP... Killymoon Rangers and Coagh Utd battle for the ball during last Saturday's local derby clash at MUSA.mm14-360sr PICTURE : Simon Robinson.
HEADS UP... Killymoon Rangers and Coagh Utd battle for the ball during last Saturday's local derby clash at MUSA.mm14-360sr PICTURE : Simon Robinson.


Killymoon Rangers 0

Killymoon Rangers travelled to Newforge in Belfast on Saturday and were beaten 4-0 by the PSNI.

With Glentoran not playing Cliftonville until Monday night, Eddie Patterson and Roy Coyle took the opportunity to have a look at Killymoon before next Saturdays Irish Cup tie.

PSNI went on the attack in the opening minute and the Killymoon defence had to be on their toes to clear the danger. Killymoon had a free kick 33 yards out, Barrie Kelly’s shot deflected of his own man and went wide. Killymoon players were on the receiving end of a few challenges that went unpunished, by the referee.

Marc Harkness had a header saved by the keeper from a killymoon free kick, before the referee finally got his cards out, and booked the right back for a foul on Roger Greer. Barrie Kelly had another free kick, for Killymoon, on target and saved by the home keeper, in a pretty even opening start to the game. Davy Mc Mullan was almost in on goal before the defence cleared. M Brown was on hand to deal with a cross from the right, and S Purvis cleared his lines minutes later, with a header. On 19 minutes PSNI took the lead L Adamczyk put the ball in the net with the Killymoon appealing for offside. Davy Mc Mullan’s flick on was cleared, and following another unpunished foul, Killymoon coach, Peter Mc Keever was sent off. The PSNI had shouts for a penalty waved away. Killymoon had a chance to get back on level terms on 28 minutes, from a free kick, the home keeper punched clear under pressure from Stephen Purvis. Killymoon also had a long throw cleared as they tried to get back into the game. M Brown made a good save on 34 minutes, and a minute later it was 2-0. L Adanczyk getting his second. M Picking made it 3-0 on 40 minutes converting a right wing cross. Things got wose for Killymoon 3 minutes later when no 11 broke the offside trap to add a fourth. Half time 4-0.

Killymoon started the second half on the front foot and had a free kick cleared on 52 minutes. Killymoon should have had a penalty when Davy Mc Mullan was fouled in the box, the referee waved play on, and on 55 minutes Killymoon were reduced to 10 men, Davy Mc Mullan was sent off, for a foul, to the amazement of everyone at the game. John Mc Guigan came on for Barrie Kelly and Daryl Shannon came on for Johnny Young. Roger Greer set up Marc Harkness, before the home defence cleared the danger. Marc Harkness then turned provider to set up Roger Greer, but the home goal keeper was alert to the danger and won the race to the ball. Jason Ferry got a good block on the ball to deny the PSNI, who then introduced Rory Hamill as a substitute, to try and get a break through in the second half, as Killymoon worked their socks off, denying them time and space. Warren Smith came on for Roger Greer, and Michael Brown saved a header from L Adanczyk from a free kick. Steven Mc Elhatton was next up to block a shot, which deflected for a corner. Killymoon broke and the cross went to the keeper. Marc Harkness tried his luck with a shot that went wide. From a killymoon throw in PSNI broke and the shot went narrowly wide. In the final minute Rory Hamill had a free kick from the edge of the box go wide. Full Time PSNI 4, Killymoon Rangers 0;

Killymoon Rangers; M Brown, J Scott, J Young, S Mc Elhatton, S Purvis, J Ferry, B Kelly, M Harkness, D Mc Mullan, G Moore, R Greer, subs; D Millar, J Mc Guigan, W Smith, D Shannon.

Killymoon Rangers 2nds drew 1-1 with Magherafelt Sky Blues 2nds at the Fairhill on Saturday, Matty Hughes scoring for Andy Rea’s men, and this saturday they play Cookstown Olympic at Beechway.

Killymoon Rangers would like to congratulate Mark Wilsin and Tracey Hawthorne who have announced their engagemnet, and a big get well soon to Chris Hunter, who runs the Killymoon website.