Killymoon Rangers defeated by Comrades.

KILLYMOON Rangers entertained Ballyclare Comrades at MUSA last Saturday in an IFA Championship match but, after a lack-lustre display, succumbed to another home defeat.

Killymoon gave debuts to Ryan Ferry and Niall Doyle and recalled Trevor Brownlee after his hat-trick for the Reserves the previous week. After a fairly even opening stages of play, it was the away side who took the lead in fortuitous circumstances.

A high ball into the Killymoon box was not dealt with by the home defence and Ferry unfortunately put the ball past Stewart in the home goal. This gave the visitors the confidence boost that they needed and they went on to dominate the half with Killymoon failing to gel and produce any real attacking threat. On the half hour mark a hotly disputed free kick on the edge of the Killymoon box produced Ballyclare’s second goal.

Andrew Simms curled his free-kick around the defensive wall and low into the corner of the net. It got even worse for Killymoon before the half time whistle as Ballyclare extended their lead.

Simms hit a speculative shot from long range that seemed to present no real danger but, somehow, Stewart allowed the ball to squirm underneath his body and into the net. The Killymoon custodian failed to appear for the second half, Michael Brown taking his place. Brown was immediately called into action to make a smart save as the loose ball ricocheted around Killymoon’s box after a corner.

Ballyclare seemed to be well in control with Killymoon again failing to produce any cohesive passing and lacking a goal threat as a result.

Comrades had several opportunities to shoot from range and hit cross-bar on seventy minutes and, but for the heroic efforts of Adrian Ferson in the Killymoon backline, could

have extended their lead further.

Five minutes, later Jonny Young produced Killymoon’s best effort of the match when he volleyed just wide from twenty yards out. As Ballyclare tired Rangers managed to push forward and Doyle crossed for Warren Smith to head home at the back post. A penalty shout minutes later was turned down by the referee and this proved to be all that Killymoon could muster.

Team- Gary Stewart, John Scott, Adrian Ferson, Steven McElhatton, Ryan Ferry, David McMullan, Gary Crooks, Niall Doyle, Trevor Brownlee, Warren Smith, Jonny Young. Subs- Cameron Stewart, Michael Brown, William Ferguson, Gareth McGaw.

Killymoon Rangers are in cup action on Saturday when they play Camlough Rovers in the 2nd round of the Belfast Telegraph Bob Radcliffe Cup. Kick off at the Mid Ulster Sports Arena Cookstown is 3.00pm.

Killymoon Rangers will be holding a 40th Anniversary reunion dinner on Saturday 4th February in the Royal Hotel, Cookstown. Full details will be published later.