Killymoon Rangers Reserves and Update

GLEBE Rangers reserves were the visitors to Beechway to take on the current league leaders, Killymoon Rangers reserves. It proved to be a hotly contested fixture between two sides who are in top form.

Conditions were far from ideal for either side, as the surface was very slippy and the heavy pitch was making it harder to play any sort of flowing football.

Nonetheless both sides battled through the conditions and it was the visitors who took the lead via a stunning free kick. The Glebe striker stepped up and curled a superb effort into the top corner of the net.

Killymoon didn’t let their heads drop and they pushed for an equaliser. Jonny Young made a strong run down the left and saw his 40 yard effort come off the crossbar. From the follow up, Killymoon were awarded a penalty as the Glebe defender was adjudged to have handled inside the area.

Redford stepped up and slotted the ball home to make it 1-1. This was the way it remained for the rest of the first half.

The second half picked up from where the first half left off with both sides battling it out and there were certainly some fiesty tackles as the referee soon began to brandish a number of yellow cards.

Killymoon soon started pushing forward and Glebe were quite happy to sit and soak up the pressure and counter attack. There was a major scare for the home side when McElhatton let the ball slip out of his hands and bounce towards the goal. Luckily for the home side, the Glebe attacker somehow handled the ball on the line when he was left with an open goal.

Killymoon pushed forward once more and subs Martin, Hagan and Millar all arrived as they attempted to bolster the team.

Young and Brownlee had arguably the best chances to seal all three points. Young was put through on goal and somehow put the ball over the bar.

Trevor Brownlee was next to be denied as he saw his bullet header brilliantly saved by the keeper.

The match ended 1-1, which was probably a fair result for both sides. Manager Phil Gray was happy with the performance and thought that his side were unlucky to not come away with all three points.

Larne Olympic Vs Killymoon Rangers 2nds @ 2pm at Inver Park, Larne.

Killymoon Rangers return to league action this Saturday when they travel to face Portstewart FC in the Irish Championship 2 at Mullaghacall Park at 2pm.

The first team have been drawn to play local rivals, Moyola Park in the JJB Irish Cup. The game will be played at the Sports Arena on Saturday 10th December

Killymoon Rangers will be holding a committee meeting on Monday 5th December in the Royal Hotel at 7.30pm. All committee members are asked to attend.