Killymoon set up fifth round derby

Killymoon Rangers took control of their match with Dromara Village in the early stages, scoring three times in 16 minutes without reply.

Player manager Davy McMullan had a glancing header wide on 3 minutes from a free kick from the half way line. Stephen Purvis also had a glancing header go narrowly wide, this time from a Stephen McElhatton free kick.

Barrie Kelly then saw his free kick from 40 yards saved by Gerard McVey in the Dromara goal.

On 7 minutes Roma hit the post with a header from a Johnny Young free kick and Killymoon got the breakthrough 2 minutes later. Jim Girvan was booked for a foul on Roma a allowing John Mc Guigan to take a short free kick to Barrie Kelly down the right. Davy Mc Mullan tapped the ball in at the back post to give Killymoon the lead on 9 minutes.

Before Dromara had time to settle, Killymoon made it 2-0. A Killymoon corner was cleared to the edge of the box. Marc Harkness met the ball and scored with a crisp shot on 12 minutes.

Dromara Village had a free kick dealt with by the home defence, before Roma header over from another free kick.

Roma scored Killymoon’s third goal of the afternoon on 16 minutes when he beat his man on the edge of the box before drilling his shot past Gerard McVey.

Dromara replied and the home defence dealt with a free kick and a corner, Barrie Kelly went close to extending Killymoon’s lead with a free kick which went narrowly wide.

Roma then had a shot off the underside of the bar, which rebounded into G Mc Vey’s arms. Dromara then had 2 half chances before Johnny Young shot over following a Killymoon corner.

Both teams exchanged half chances at the start of the second half, before Killymoon increased their lead, on 52 minutes. Jim Girvan brought down Marc Harkness in the box and received a second yellow card and a red card from referee Paddy Mc Fadden.

Stephen McElhatton scored from the spot to make it 4-0 to the hosts. Killymoon almost made it 5-0 minutes later, Davy Mc Mullan’s header being saved on the line.

On 68 minutes Davy Mc Mullan shoud have scored his second and Killymoon’s fifth after being put through by strike partner Roma.

Dromara Village then had two chances which they put wide and over. The Dromara Village goalkeeper Gerard Mc Vey then sustained a neck injury and the game was held up 45 minutes before the ambulance crew took him to hospital.

When play resumed Johnny Young broke forward and won a corner, Stephen Purvis saw his header cleared off the line.

On 85 minutes Gerard Rooney pulled a goal back for Dromara, scoring from a corner, and scored a second goal two minutes later.

The last action of the match saw Marc Harkness break from the half way line before putting his shot over the bar.

Killymoon Rangers would like to thank MLA Sandra Overend who sponsored the match.

Killymoon Rangers: M Brown, J Scott, J Young, S Mc Elhatton, S Purvis, J Ferry, M Harkness, B Kelly, Roma, D Mc Mullan J Mc Guigan. Subs, R Greer, G Moore, D Millar, D Shannon

Killymoon Rangers Reserves match with Ballyclare Comerades Reserves was abandoned after 13 minutes due to a bad injury. This Saturday Killymoon Rangers reserves travel to Desertmartin Swifts, kick off at Dromore Park is 2pm. Killymoon Rangers are holding a sports quiz on Saturday 27th December in the Royal Hotel at 7pm where the host will be the new Killymoon chairman Peter McKeever. A friendly welcome home to Stuarty Donaghy who surprised the family when he arrived home unannounced from Australia on Saturday evening.