Killymoon suffer second half slump in scrappy affair

CROSS... Killymoon Rangers fire in a teasing cross under pressure from the Armagh City defense.INMM3413-375SR
CROSS... Killymoon Rangers fire in a teasing cross under pressure from the Armagh City defense.INMM3413-375SR

Three second half goals from Muir, Young and Paul rounded off a bad day at the office for Killymoon at Moyola Park’s Mill Meadow ground. With a depleted squad manager George Dardis had to name himself on the bench.

Wakehurst looked particularly dangerous down their right-hand side during what was a scrappy first half with both teams more or less cancelling each other out.

Rainey in the visiting goal did brilliant to punch away a dangerous corner early on and Killymoon went straight up the other end with Young’s cross finding its way to Kelly but his effort was deflected wide.

Neill and Purvis were kept busy throughout both having to deal with dangerous crosses. Killymoon had a chance to relieve some pressure but Watson’s tame free kick was straight at the home keeper to save easily.

The home side nearly took the lead after twelve minutes with Muir getting on the end of a free kick but his flicked on header sailed harmless over Rainey’s bar. Watson had another chance on goal after good play from Donaghy but unfortunately for the visitors they weren’t able to trouble the home defence on this occasion.

Paul nearly scored minutes later but a great save from Rainey denied him. A great cross field ball by Donaghy found Young on the edge of the box but the Wakehurst goalkeeper made himself big to see the ball wide although the visitors felt it could have been a corner.

Another talking point in the first half was an unusual decision not to book a home player after a challenge on Young just as he was about to seen Hunter through on goal. This despite a couple of dubious yellow cards dished out to the visitor’s minutes prior. Kelly cleared a corner right at the end of the second half.

Rainey was called into action right at the start of the second half but stood the task brilliantly denying the lively Cregg a goal. A great cross field ball by substitute Campbell found Young with a bit of space on the left hand side and he in turned played a dangerous cross into the box for Donaghy but unfortunately for the Killymoon skipper a Wakehurst defender got their first. The resulting corner was cleared away from danger.

Wakehurst eventually took the lead twenty minutes into the second half, with Muir heading in from a corner. Rainey had to be sharp minutes later to get on the end of a long ball from the home side. In similar fashion Donaghy nearly got on the end a ball pumped long but the home keeper came off his line well to claim.

Muir tried his luck again from a free kick Rainey equalling it yet again forcing a corner, which was cleared again. It proved a frustrating day for Watson with all he was able to show for was nearly getting on the end of a threw ball.

Controversy was to follow soon after when the referee awards a fowl to the visitors with fifteen minutes to go on Neill. Young and Purvis strongly feeling that it was inside the box but the linesman ruled it was just outside much to the frustration of the visiting team. Young took the free kick which forced a good save from the home goalkeeper with the ball falling to Donaghy who struck the ball hard but his effort sailed past the far post. Neill tried his luck with a free kick soon after and the Wakehurst keeper had to be alert tipping his powerfull effort over the post.

With Killymoon pushing for an equaliser it was inevitable that the home side would eventually score again and they did just that minutes later when G. Young rounding a stranded Rainey to calmly pass the ball into an empty net on the counter-attack. Killymoon instantly responded up the other end, great play by Neill on the right eventually finding Hunter on the edge of the box but his effort sailed harmlessly over the bar

Cregg had an effort over the bar for Wakehurst before a thunderous strike by Paul ended the contest with one minute to go.

Killymoon Rangers: Rainey, McElhatton, Purvis, McMullan, Martin, Neill, Donaghy ©, Hunter, Kelly, Watson, Young. Subs: Edson, Dardis, Campbell