Killymoon wasteful in Annagh loss

For the second time in 12 days, Killymoon Rangers played Annagh United and went down to a 1-0 defeat at the Sports Arena

In the opening minutes of the match, Gerry Moore took a free kick for Killymoon on the half way line, Andrew Wright came off his line and claimed the ball.

Annagh right back, Chris Coleman, put a shot over the bar, from insde the Killymoon box. Annagh used the wind to their advantage in the first half, causing Killymoon players smaller in comparison difficulties.

Roma tried his luck from distance with a shot that went over the bar. The home defence cleared their line from an early Annagh free kick. Harrison missed a header after being left unmarked in the Killymoon box.

Annagh’s tactic of sending their two tall centre halves, Stephen Acheson and Alan Murphy, forward for all free kicks, caused Killymoon problems. Alan Murphy, a constant threat to Killymoon all match with his height, was winning the majority ofthe balls played into the box.

Dicky Donaghy had a header saved on the line from a Gerry Moore free kick, before Annagh took the lead in the 10th minute. Nathan Riddle took the free kick, Alan Murphy flicked on and Jamie Gardiner poked the ball home.

On 17 minutes Michael Brown saved with his feet from R Murphy. The match was littered with free kicks for fouls, and offsides, with very little free flowing football. Killymoon captain Stephen Purvis was alert to clear the danger from another Annagh free kick launched into the box.

Jason Ferry tried his luck from distance the shot going wide. Killymoon had a free kick 30 yards out, Roma took, and his shot hit the wall, Annagh broke forward, Roma got back to help out and won the ball, Killymoon’s forward pass was adjudged offside.

Jordan Bell hit the killymoon post, Declan Campbell picked up the loose ball and ran from well inside his own half, before having a shot that went wide. Alan Murphy’s flick on from a Jordan Bell free kick was adjudged offside.

When Annagh did manage to break the Killymoon offside trap, J Gardiner put his chance wide. Michael Brown claimed a free kick in the box, he tried to release Dicky Donaghy with a quick throw to the half way line, before Dicky was fouled, and the move halted. Gerry Moore took the free kick, straight to Wright in the Annagh goal. Dicky Donaghy had a shot wide before the half time

Killymoon started the second half on the front foot, Warren Smith had a half chance in the opening minute, Wright coming out of goal to clear the danger. Warren had a shot blocked by the Annagh defence, and Roma’s deflected shot off the defender was saved by Wright.

Annagh weathered the early Killymoon storm and started to get back into the game. Annagh hit the wall with a free kick from 25 yards out and M Brown saved from Gardiner. Alan Murphy headed a free kick wide, and F Mc Cann shot over. On the hour Killymoon brought on William Montgomery for G Moore, and Roma pushed up front with last week’s strike partner Dicky Donaghy.

The move almost paid dividends, as a ball from Roma put Marc Hakness in on goal, Andrew Wright saving the day for Annagh, by diving at Marc’s feet and claiming the ball. Killymoon then beat the Annagh offside trap, Marc Hakness the man causing problems again for Annagh, Marc’s shot going narrowly wide.

Killymoon could have had an equalizer a minute later, Roma took the corner and Stephen Purvis unmarked put a free header wide. On 71 minutes Annagh substitute Shea Campbell had a shot come off the under side off the Killymoon cross bar, Kevin Taggart waved play on the advice off his linesman Jason Lockhart.

Killymoon had a goal disallowed for offside in the 72 minute. Andrew Wright spilled Warren Smiths shot, William Montgomery following up buried the ball in the back of the net, only to see David Moore flag for offside.

William Montgomery had a shot wide from outside the box. With less than 10 minutes to go Killymoon pushed joint player manager Davy Mc Mullan up front in search of an equalizer.

Both goalkeepers were called into action and it took a timely interception from Jason Ferry now playing sweeper, to deny Annagh as they broke forward.

In the dying minutes Andrew Wright spilled another shot, Warren Smith latched on to the loose ball and saw his goal bound shot blocked by a defender.

Killymoon had a long throw cleared, and Annagh saw the game out to win 1-0.

Killymoon; M Brown, S Mc Elhatton, D Campbell, D Mc Mullan, S Purvis, J Ferry, M Harkness, G Moore, R DOnaghy, W Smith, Roma, Subs; G Dardis, R Greer, S Donaghy, W Montgomery, J Young.

Annagh; A Wright, C Coleman, N Riddle, S Acheson, A Murphy, R Murphy, F Mc Cann, J Bell, G Harrison, J Gardiner, D Smith, subs; S Campbell, G Mc Mahon, R Harpur, D Pedden, T Blevins.

Killymoon Rangers Reserves’ season came to an end on Wednesday night, with a 5-1 defeat at home to Tobermore United Reserves, player manager Andy Rea on the score sheet for the home team.

Two important club events coming up in May: The Annual Club dinner takes place on Saturday 11th May at 8pm in the Royal Hotel Cookstown. Names to be given to Stephen Charles, Malcolm Mc Conkey or team managers on or before Saturday 4th May.

The Annual Killymoon golf day is on Friday 24th May. To enter a team contact, Johnny Young on 077-4784-2814 or Peter Mc Keever on 079-4782-7780.